TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XR7 in stock trim came with the non-sport option springs. Long story short, both front springs were broke when I bought the car and instead of buying new ones, I though lowering the car a little wouldn't hurt and I evened them off at 1 1/4 coils. Now that I've converted to the slightly wider wheel off-set of the Mustang wheels and the additional weight of the AED blower and larger capacity cooling system is located over the front end, it sits waaaay to low.

I lucked out and was able to buy a brand new set of Sport Springs through and obsolete Ford parts dealer.

My question is…..I could care less about lowering the car. I was going to do it if I could get away with just a spring chop, since with broken springs up front, all I would have to do is cut the rears to match, but since I’ve got to replace the front springs anyway, I’m going to stick with the stock ride height. (better for strait line acceleration anyway). Will I need to cut any coils off of the sport springs to level the car out? I recall the sport springs sitting about an inch higher than the standard coils, but wasn't sure if the wheel off set and additional front end weight would be enough to even in out.

Anyone go through this, or am I going to be the Ginny pig?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
As far as I know the Sports ride at the same height as the Standard models under similar circumstances. Now with the extra weight, it probably will ride a little lower than stock but not much.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
When I got it my '97 sport seemed to sit a bit higher then my '89 ls did. But then it was 9 years newer too...

I think your going to have to find out the hard way. hopefully it's turns out right the first time.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright....I'll put them in untouched to start.....and if I need to alter the height afterwards, I'll pull them out again and remove half a loop or so as needed. It's probably best if I let them settle for a few days before altering them anyway.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I put sport rear springs on and was going to do the fronts until I realized the LCA bolt was seized...and no, the ride height is the same. I can take a pic of my car if you want (with wheel well measurements)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed them yesterday "uncut" and the car sits just perfect. It's about 1/2" lower in the front than it is in the back with about 3" between the tire and the wheel well. Took it for a test drive and experienced no rubbing even going into big dips. It's nice to see the headlights shining where they're supposed to again as well. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts