TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has tried the spray tool dip for painting rims? I hear it's easy and can be removed at a later date if desired. Does this last? I figure you won't want to use high pressure sprayers to clean. Want to see what ol' Bessy looks like all black and electric current red.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I painted my factory wheels with black Plasti-Dip. The flat black finish can be improved with the glossifier, but it doesn't last long, and brake dust, etc., will quickly dull the finish. Black wheels on my dark green car give it a bit of a stealth look, but it is hard to maintain on a flat black finish. This was an experiment to see how I liked the look of all black wheels. I like it enough to consider repainting with a permanent semi-gloss paint.

I recently peeled off the coating on one rear wheel because it was deteriorating around the edge of the rim allowing the bright metal to show through. The same thing is happening on the other rear wheel, but both fronts look fine, just dull in the finish.

Living on a dusty road doesn't help matters.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. Old Betsy is in the shop now having the transmission installed. Looking to do some more improvements when she gets back. Found cross drilled rotors, calipers and shoes on eBay for $148 delivered. Seem to be.pretty good quality. Then in March she's headed to North Carolina for 3.55 gears. Like working on this almost as much as driving it.....

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I just had a set of wheels powder coated and I am really liking how they are looking.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Plastidip lasts at least as long as your tires. Sadly, depending on if you dip the outer rim or not will depend on if it lasts past your tires.

I dipped a set of Bullit knock offs for my 99 Mustang when I had it. Here's the before...

I took a wire wheel attached to a cordless drill and ground down the rust bubbles, then sanded them as smooth as I could, cleaned them with simple green, and applied several coats of plastidip from the spray can.

I kept the car over a year after that, and the dip showed no signs of fading or going away.

If you go to www.dipyourcar.com they have kits do do pretty much anything you want to a car or wheels. My current plan is to dip my red with silver LE stripes 97 into a glossy, pearl black with gold wheels and gold LE stripes. I think it'll look good, has much less chance of scratching than paint, and less overall upkeep.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thanks, those before and after pics look great and helped me make the decision to give it a try over buying new rims.
As with everything, it's 90% prep, 10% application. Do all the prep, keep them clean with a simple green style cleaner, and they'll turn out well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts