TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find the cause of a misfire I've had a low engine speeds and low throttle for ages. I remembered reading on here about spraying the plug wires with water to see if any were arcing, so I thought I'd give it a go.

My plug wires were new about a year ago - Duralast (autozone), and new coil packs from Jason.

When I looked at the engine running in pitch dark I could see nothing (unlike my original leads which were arcing with no water spray). I lightly sprayed the leads and coil packs with water mist from a garden sprayer and all of a sudden there were arcs between leads, along the wires, literally everywhere! Also from pretty much each lead to the coil pack body just at the coil pack connector end. I thought christmas had come early, it was so colourful!!

Might explain why the misfire stops when the engine is red hot. I assume its when all the moisture in the engine compartment has been evaporated.

I have a new set of Ford leads from Jason to fit which I'm hoping will fix my problem, but thought I'd ask if anyone has ever sprayed their leads and NOT seen any arcing?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You need to get some decent wires first of all. The Autolite work well and aren't that expensive compared to the FMS. Then when you install them make sure you use some electrical grease. Put it in the plug boots and in the coil boots/connectors.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have a set of Ford wires ready to go on. Haven't fitted them yet as I thought it was going to be a waste of time. However, having seen the light show, I'm hoping that they will fix the problem.

I was just wondering what would happen if you sprayed water on good leads. I assume that you shouldn't see anything(?). I guess the aftermarket ones are just not up to withstanding the voltage.

I was very surprised cos my Duralast leads look really good quality and appear to be identical to the Ford ones!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
look at my past thread about this, I had those same wires for 6 months and they arc'd like mad, best replacement is a new set of ford spark plug wires, btw when you get them take a look at the diameter, the FORD 8mm, and Duracrap 8mm are about 1mm different.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
i thought ford's were 9mm on our cars :tongue: or is that just the frpp stuff

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
just the frpp stuff james, the original wires are 8mm

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I got a set of cheapo wires and they went bad after a couple months. Got some Autolite professionals and they havent gave me any trouble, except for when my intake went, then I just got a new pair.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Just changed my plug wires and fitted the genuine Ford ones. Tried it down the road to see if the misfire had stopped, but when the engine just statrted to warm up it started missing again, same as before at low rpm and low throttle.

Came back home and later on, I tried looking at leads in the dark. Couldn't see any arcing. Then I tried spraying them lightly with water. Initially I couldn't see anything, then as the engine got a little warm I started to see some arcs. This is on BRAND NEW FORD wires! WTF???

I ran the new wires over the alternator, rather than under, and could see the wires for the whole length. The arcs occured right on top of the alternator, and seemed to be between plug wire going to no. 5 and 6, also between the leads and the top radiator hose (when you look low down). How does that work? Hoses are rubber!!

I also saw some on the LH (looking from the front of the car) coil pack. Arcing between the terminals for plug 1 and 5 at the coil pack end. Also between plug terminal 1 and 5 on the LH coil pack arcing towards the multiway connector on the front of the coil pack. There were also some arcs on one of the plug lead clips over near plugs 5 and 6.

Both the coil packs are new Ford items from Jason, as were the leads. I don't know what to do now.

Can someone with Ford leads and no misfires go and spray their leads to see if there are any arcs when the leads are wet?? That would be interesting...

I can't believe that the leads or coil packs are faulty. Is there a insulating spray that I should use or something?? My main problem is the misfire. Its been pissing me off for over a year now, and really makes me want to sell the car sometimes.

·
5,650 Posts
Using dielectric grease will insulate the plug wire connections. Unless there is an engine issue like a head gasket leaking coolant or something of that nature, I would suspect that the problem is either one of the coil packs (new doesn't mean working), a wiring issue between the coil packs and the EDIS module, or the EDIS module itself.

·
Super Moderator
11,875 Posts
Put some Magnacor wires on it and call it a day. I've been running the KV85 (8.5mm) wires for years without a problem.

They have a LIFETIME warranty!

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Using dielectric grease will insulate the plug wire connections. Unless there is an engine issue like a head gasket leaking coolant or something of that nature, I would suspect that the problem is either one of the coil packs (new doesn't mean working), a wiring issue between the coil packs and the EDIS module, or the EDIS module itself.
I don't understand why either a wiring issue or an EDIS problem would cause the leads to arc, half way aong their length though?

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put some Magnacor wires on it and call it a day. I've been running the KV85 (8.5mm) wires for years without a problem.

They have a LIFETIME warranty!
Just spent the last hour reading the Magnacor website. Some very interesting stuff on there. If I'd have found out about them before I bought the Ford leads I think I would have given them a try.

They seem to recommend spacing the leads out when you route them around the engine, and also keeping them away from water hoses (which is close to where I saw the arcing), so I may have a play around with some different routing techniques to start. Also they say about putting silicone grease on the outside of the coil lead towers which is also where I saw some arcing.

I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I put wire conduits over my wires, for a little added protection against stuff. Have you seen if theres water down in your plug holes? What I did when mine were dirty/wet was just taking the plugs off then spraying down the plug tube with compressed air.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the old plug leads were dry when I took them off, and I couldn't see anything wrong with them.

I used conduit before, when I routed them under the alternator, but left it off when I put the new ones on, as I've routed them over the alternator.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Well you cant let them touch the alternator bare. I had my cheapos melt on them. Mine are routed on top of the alt. too. Heres how mine is set up. THey are more neatly spaced now, It took that pic right after I got my PI intake on and I wanted to drive it really bad, so I just made it workable, lol.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have mine routed over the alternator like yours, but on the RH side of the alternator they come a bit further forward and rest on the top hose. The coil pack on the LH side (looking from the front) is the one where I'm getting the arcing. The two front leads arc together and to the multiway connector on the front.

Incidentally, my LH coil pack is mounted at a 30-40 degree angle. Is that your 97 car? Mine is 94. Wonder why they changed it??

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yesterday, I put silicone grease over all the plug boots, inside and out, and also on the inside and outside of the caps at the coil pack ends. I also greased the multiway plug on the side of the coil pack.

Where the wires were arcing halfway accross the top of the alternator I also lightly greased the outside of the wire.

When I sprayed water over the leads in the dark afterwards I'm pretty sure that all the arcs had stopped. The only one I did see was on the top of the alternator, and that stopped after I greased the wire at that point.

However, even after all that, when I drove the car afterwards, I was very pissed off to find that it made absolutely no difference to the misfire, so its back to square one.

Anyone got any ideas???

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought the plugs were the cause, so I changed them first just before I changed the leads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts