TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install a new set of Intrax springs next week.

Any tips? Any "watch-out-for's"?

How long has it taken you guys?

I've got two days to get er' done...but no extra cash for parts, so I better not break anything!

later,
-danimal

·
8,239 Posts
The rears are easy, the fronts are "fun" to say the least. I had airtools, and did the job in 2 hours with a buddy. For the fronts, you absolutely must have a wall mounted spring compressor to swap the springs. A loaded spring can freegin kill you, and the fronts on a tbird are very beefy. Don't even try to use a hand compressor on these things, take it to a shop and have them swap it for you.

Also, i would say that new shocks are a must, unless you just put brand new ones on there recently. Otherwise, you will be kicking yourself when you have a bouncy harsh ride. Worn OE shocks are not up to the task of lowering springs. I have the tokico springs/shocks and it is very firm, and sporty.

Also, get new rubber spring isolators, and lots of white lithium grease.

Justin

Danimal said:
I am going to install a new set of Intrax springs next week.

Any tips? Any "watch-out-for's"?

How long has it taken you guys?

I've got two days to get er' done...but no extra cash for parts, so I better not break anything!

later,
-danimal

·
Registered
244 Posts
yup, yup. white lithium grease for the squeaks. new spring isolators for the rear, although mine weren't that worn out. the front is a ***** dude. there is a bolt that goes through the lower control arm, through the shock forks. i beat on that thing for like an hour, greased it, lubed it. it is just not fun. its the one with the little tag/ear on it. be careful on the upper balll joint not to tear the boot.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm not too worried about the front, I just put a set of Tokico's on the whole car about a month ago. Which means that the lower shock bolt on the lower controll arm will come out with ease. One of them was completely frozen to the bushing in the lower controll arm and I had to replace the lower controll arm.

Not cool

Anyways, thanks,
-danimal

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
New springs huh dude? When you gonna put those on? We should get together and fix our hinge pins one of these days, maybe this weekend? You got anytihng going on? Give me a ring. Later.

John

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hinge party!!! Wooo hooo!!!

Yeah this weekend would be perfect for a hinge party.

As for the springs...well...if you remember I have helped my older brother install many many parts on his 99 GT including lowering springs. So now he says he wants to help me install some stuff on my car. He's coming into town on tuesday and I figured him and I would tackle it about mid week or so. Should be pretty fun, we'll see.

Hey dode...i was thinking that instead of spending $35 to have a shop switch the springs on the front tokico's, maybe we could use your spring compressor.

I've heard that it is a beeyotch to do on these cars though, so let me know if you are up to it.

Thankz dawg,
-danimal

P.S. I'll call ya tonight baby

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hey dude...we can swap your springs. I have done before. Not a big deal at all really. I don't know who ever said it was. A few air tools and presto, it is done. Give me a buzz tonight. I should be home. Had some problems with the race car, so no racing for me tonight.

John

·
Registered
220 Posts
I hear you all on that lower control arm bolt. Both of mine were basically frozen in. I go the one on the left side out but I had to put in a new lower control arm on the right side. That was not fun at all. For compressing the springs, it is easy to do at home. Just go to a local parts place and rent a spring compressor. It is really easy. Even without the air tools.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Ahh, the love of air tools (impact wrench, mainly) has increased a lot since I did my brakes and front suspention on my old tbird =) It has saved me well over the cost of the air tool (10 bucks, lol) Saved me about 500 bucks in labor prices if I would have had to take it in...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts