TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lowering my car next week, and I just wanted to know a few things.

-where have you guys gotten your Isolators? I'm looking for a good deal.

-where have you guys gotten your new sway bar end links for lowered vehicles???

Thanks,
-Danimal

P.S. I have a set of SC springs, any body want em?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ohh, and have you guys had to get an alignment after you did the springs? I just had an alignment 3 weeks ago...so I want to avoid having to fork over the cash again.

Thanks,
-danimal

·
Premium Member
8,239 Posts
I didn't have to get an alignment after lowering springs/shocks. But take it to a shop you trust, and make sure everything is within spec.

JH

·
Registered
244 Posts
ya, i had to get an alignment, and i got FUKKED. they could not touch the rear. i can tell too. i have to get time to do the control arm modification. however, get the isolators from ford, $10 each, rear only, you need 4 of them. did you get a new sway bar too? sway bar end links for my 1.25" lowered car are this: go to autozone, or anywhere, get addco part #008. this has the necessary bushings and such that you will need, minus the bolts. i then went to the hardware store and got some 3/8" bolts that were 8" long( i believe), and redrilled out the washers that came with the addco #008 to accept the 3/8" bolts. install. if you still have the stock bar, you dont' need new endlinks.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hey Dan, if you are giving springs away, I will take them :D

As far as the alignment goes, you will probably need to have it checked. Who did your alignment? They should have some sort of a warranty, so just take it back in and tell them something doesn't seem right, and you would like them to look at it again he he he.

Yes Dan, get the Addco end links for the front, and get those isolators ordered. Just hope that you have enough adjustment that you don't have any camber problems like some have had out back. That would suck.

John

·
Registered
244 Posts
i don't believe that you need endlinks for the front. nor the rear if you have stock bars. they could not adjust the rear camber because of the lack of adjustment.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the rear camber can be adjusted by moving the lower control arm to subframe bolt cams. It just can't be adjusted much at all, and some people have already had their cams moved as far as they would go.

With the rear sway bar, it's going to be rotated upwards, and I would think that the geometry would be screwed up with the stock endlinks...hmm... I haven't really looked at the front much though.

Later. Hey dode, buy your own damn springs. Or buy mine for $530 US.

-danimal;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
i have not looked at the fronts much either. the rear ones have a built in sort of knuckle. they can rotate, and move about. when you switch bars, the new bar does not have the same construction as the stock one, and you cannot use that type of end link, or else we could just reuse the stock links. check it out on your car.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah that's what i was saying. the bar can rotate...but i don't see how it could function like it's intended if it's aimed upwards... I suppose it is still flexing the same, i guess it'd be alright.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Rear suspension

Your anti-sway bar still functions the same at a lowered geometry, it holds one control arm at about the same angle as the other when you are moving.
My suspension is lowered about 8 inches and the stock endlink assemblies flex to allow the bar to move upwards without restriction.
The sway bar works so well, I removed it completely.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No no no

I have recently lowered the car, and went thru hell, getting allignment, had a place do it, and they ended up screwing it up worse than i could have done it with my eyes, they insisted something was wrong, and they couldnt do any better, well i knew that was bull, ended up taking it to the dealer, and in 20 minutes it was perfect no problem. these shops are just plain ignorant, and know nothing about rear drive independent supension. i am seriously pissed about this, and am wanting to sue for my money back on a job, that was worse than it was when i took it in. The tires rubbed fender and one wheel pointed in and had negative camber, OOH it was crap. Im still pissed. just take it to the dealer, they know how to adjust it right.

About the Sway bar thing, I know the sway bars need to be changed for the lowering and parallel to the ground with the car on the ground. They are not like that right now, and i can tell it needs to be, the handling is not right, especially in the front, and so far ive only seen one person with an answer to the front problem. Moog links are going to be the choice for me, they are a little shorter, and haven't found anyone else to sell shorter front endlinks, the back are straight and can be done several of the ways described above and elsewhere.

This endlink problem is the only issue left for me to address to get a perfectly new, and lowered ride, with no handling issues. The front , under high speed load cornering, has a tendency to bump steer , and this wasn't like this on factory springs. These are the only thing that could be causing this, and its keeping me from having a perfect cornering birdy.

·
Registered
244 Posts
how much did you lower your car? i have original front links, and my car handles like a dream. front bar is stock also.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tell you what, i just finished my spring install (2.5" drop so far...hoping for more as they sag), and without an alignment (that comes tomorrow) and with the stock endlinks, it corners great. I still would like to get the bars leveled out.

-danimal

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
When do you get the alignment dude? How does it look? Other than the ricer-esque color combination...ha ha ha. When do I get to see it?

John

·
Registered
117 Posts
more bar maybe

BR1 said:
how much did you lower your car? i have original front links, and my car handles like a dream. front bar is stock also.
Its H&R , less than 2" . maybe its the springs, and/or the combination of my setup, but its way different than stock. It could be that im feeling the limits of the bar , cause im able to keep so much more speed in corners.
Its the front i have issue with, the back im not noticing yet, but i have to do something with the front, i think i should get the addco/kit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
so...for good replacement front links?

The shop ruined my right endlink, they stripped out the bolt so it won't stay tight. Ford wants about $30 each (Dan) but I'd rather get some better units that won't wear out so quick, especially with a 1 3/8" bar. So, who makes good ones?
Thanks!
Michael

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: so...for good replacement front links?

redshft said:
The shop ruined my right endlink, they stripped out the bolt so it won't stay tight. Ford wants about $30 each (Dan) but I'd rather get some better units that won't wear out so quick, especially with a 1 3/8" bar. So, who makes good ones?
Thanks!
Michael
hmm, another michael in houston with birdage, well,
the only other ones i've seen available are the Moog from Oreilly

what part of town you in ?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Danimal said:
the rear camber can be adjusted by moving the lower control arm to subframe bolt cams. It just can't be adjusted much at all, and some people have already had their cams moved as far as they would go.
-danimal;)
The upper control arm on the rear also has an essentric cam, not just the lowers. For those of you who lowered your cars even using this will usually not bring the camber within spec. You WILL have to elongate the upper control arm spindle bolt hole out say .125 and will bring you within tolerance. Been there done that.

My $.02

Jim Long

1 - 19 of 19 Posts