TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have been doing a lot of reading and only got so far. I am running a 97 t bird v8 auto in lemons. I found x5 rear shocks fit the rear and are really stiff. (Just a tech tip) I'm looking at spring rates right now.

I have some 900lb race springs I can fit in the rear and 650lb or 700lb for the front. Is that way too stiff?

I'm running what ever the stock sway bars are.

Front shocks will be the week point some new Sachs I got cheap on ebay for 25 each. But I will look into having them re valved or doing one of the many aftermarket front shock mods that are well documented on here.

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
I ran a Cougar in Lemons for several years, and we ran cut down SC springs and SC sway bars all the way around. We also ran the Tokico shocks in the front, and 03/04 Mustang Cobra Bilsteins in the rear. We also ran 17x9 Cobra R wheels with 275/40/17 Nitto NT05 tires, 13” Cobra brakes, and a bunch of chassis bracing, along with gutting everything we could to get weight out of it. With this combination, we were able to out-brake pretty much everything else on the track, and we could hang through the corners with all but the quickest Miatas and E30’s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hello! thanks for the replys. 300% stiffer is that correct? maybe my math is off. i was taking the larger number of the lx 501lb springs assuming the progressive portion of the spring is only the 1st 1" or so. and 900 is only 40% stiffer is that correct? then for the front it should be in the 600-650 range to maintain the same 40% spring rate increase. am I that far off here?

madmickey do you have any idea what your sc spring rates could have ended up at?

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
You could probably figure it out. I cut 1.5 coils off the rears and 2 coils off the front, so if you can find out how many coils the springs have from the factory, and the factory spring rates, you can multiply the spring rate by how many coils you had, then divide by how many are left, and you will have the new spring rate.

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
hello! thanks for the replys. 300% stiffer is that correct? maybe my math is off. i was taking the larger number of the lx 501lb springs assuming the progressive portion of the spring is only the 1st 1" or so. and 900 is only 40% stiffer is that correct? then for the front it should be in the 600-650 range to maintain the same 40% spring rate increase. am I that far off here?

madmickey do you have any idea what your sc spring rates could have ended up at?
Well, for the base spring the differences are:

270 min to 900 is 233% increase in stiffness
330 max to 900 is 172% increase in stiffness

For the base rear springs at 349 min to 403 max you're looking at

270 min to 900 is 157% increase in stiffness
330 max to 900 is 123% increase in stiffness

I was looking at it as if:

270 min was 100%
540 min was 200%
and
810 min was 300%

So yea, looking at it that way, 900 is over 300% stiffer. But that's wrong. The above percentage increases are accurate.

Anyway, look at the chart in the other thread or just cut some SC springs like Mikey suggested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts