TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Lower my Bird, I read a while ago that you can change the springs without compressing the springs, I've got new shocks as well, What else do i need??

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Who told you that you can swap the springs without compressing them?!?! :beek:

And find them and beat them over the head… :zbash: :beek:

You HAVE to compress them (fronts at least) to get them off the shocks and a wall mounted spring compressor designed for strut is HIGHLY recommended. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I don't see how you'd remove the stock springs without compressing them. However, it is possible to install the new springs without compressing them. Install the upper shock mount back on the body, then loosely bolt the spring/shock assembly to the lower control arm. Place a jack under the lower control arm and slowly jack it up while carefully guiding the shock shaft into the upper mount. The weight of the car will compress the spring, and you can put the washer and nut on the shock shaft once it pokes through the upper mount. You should always be careful when working with springs, but I don't think this method is dangerous, and I've done it a few times now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I can Take the spring and shock assembly off the car In one peace and take them to a shop and they will swap the parts for me. I thought someone said you can assemble the new shocks and springs on the floor with some new parts and remove the old ones and Install the new assembly. (I've Never worked on my suspension before so this is a learning experience for me) Also I suppose it would be wise To buy shorter end links for my sway bar? Are they Universal or do I have to special order them?? :confused:

Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If you've never worked on a suspension before, don't try to do it based upon something a friend told you unless he's worked on this kind of car before and knows what he's doing. You might be better off going to a shop. You can find shorter rear end links at Auto Zone, but no one sells shorter front links.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
mercutio said:
no one sells shorter front links.
True, however the Moog replacement front end links are just a little shorter than stock. I had to use them on my 90 XR7, due to a clearance issue I was having. Here's a picture to show the difference:

Like I said, not much, but it was enough to correct the problem I was having. Click here to read about that problem.

As far as compressing springs go, you won't need to compress the rear coils to remove or install them. If you remove the two bolts that attach the rear lower control arm to the rear knuckle, you can lower the control arm (slowly, with a jack) enough to slide the stock springs out. You will need a spring compressor to remove the stock springs from the front shocks. I highly recommend using a wall-mount spring compressor, or taking them to a shop to have the front springs swapped out.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Trevorbird said:
I'm going to Lower my Bird, I read a while ago that you can change the springs without compressing the springs, I've got new shocks as well, What else do i need??
At the risk of bringing up a dead thread. If I read this post correctly, Trevorbird bought new springs (to lower it with) and new shocks. If that is true, he could do it without doing any compressing himself. Just take the new springs, and new shocks to a shop and have them assembled. Then go and remove the old spring/shock combo and install the new spring/shock combo.

Of course by now all the work has been done and its a mute point anyway. :D

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Traveler,

I don't know if that is what Trevorbird did, but you can definitely do it that way.

-Rod

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ended getting the shop to do everything. Traveler was right thats what I wanted to do. Yesterday I cut 1 coil off the front springs without even taking the assembly off the car, what a PITA.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Ok, now that one got me. How on earth did you cut off a coil without taking the assembly from the car?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
:zwthstpd:

How the heck did you do that?? and why if you were going to be putting newones back on??b you would have to compress them either way. Sorry i'm just as confused as traveler is. Iv done the lowering spring swap and just taken the whole units out then took them to a shop and had them swap the stuff over then put them back on my car

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I just got the shop to install the new shocks and springs. My idea was to get everything i need to have the new springs and shocks compressed at a shop while still haveing my old ones on my car than on a weekend I'd swap out the old springs and shocks and install the new ones (already compressed).

2. I didn't like the drop of the front springs (was higher than the back). so I borrowed 2 spring compressers, took my tires off put one compressor on either side or the spring, The top of the compressor was 2 coils down from the top of the spring. then I cut one full coil off, I had to make two cuts to get the coil off

1 - 13 of 13 Posts