TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Super Moderator
14,406 Posts
Ours bends in the middle, and at the knuckle, almost into thirds, in a direct side impact. If
I ever clean out the garage, I'll post pix. I have a spare set; I bought a set and had them shipped to Oscar for stiffening a few years back. With the konis and rear sport springs, you can feel them flex. They seem to get steeper under load, which is a good thing.
Man; everything I miss about driving is Illegal, lol.

· Administrator
16,736 Posts
Glad you're safe and the damage wasn't worse.

You were very lucky! I hate driving in wet conditions for that very reason. Make sure your tires have PLENTY of tread and slow down in the wet! One of my first accidents ever was caused by hydroplaning. I wasn't as lucky as you were.

· Registered
96 | 4.6
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thank you very much for the all support, TCCOA. It mean's a lot to me. Losing the car would be terrible for me, and so would disconnecting in some way from the community. I see other communities here and there, and you have something truly good going on. I feel bad, being such a newb that I can't give back !

I found a shop that seemed more confident, but they have me on a back burner before they check out their approach. If they commit to the repair, then I will review and add notes with your recommendations. Meanwhile, family was willing to lend me their 7th gen Malibu. I'm grateful, but man the lack of visibility is intimidating and I'm anxious to get back into the bird..

Wile E, if they can't find a scrap vendor, and then I can't - then I will certainly keep that into consideration

Trunk, you're right. Much love

Updates to come. Cheers

· Super Moderator
14,406 Posts
Check out car part.com, put in the parts you're looking for, "lowerand upper control arm"; and they will ship it to you for a fee. Or you can hand a print to a shop, and say, call these guys. I boug those parts for ~$250. Like I said, it's three bolts, and you can leave with that whole corner! Wheels are more problematic, but I've paid as little as $25 for a cougar wheel.

· Super Moderator
14,406 Posts
That's why I had them welded up on Lazarus, after I added Rods braces, I could feel them flex. I think that's the corner where I lost the gopro. They finally sent me a check; the magnet base let go, lol. God, I miss driving.

· Registered
96 | 4.6
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Northwest Oregon here. Shop updated me and said they are currently calling around to find a the spindle and upper? control arm. They will be reluctant to source if I bring them anything (on policy), but they might consider an exception. They will let me know if they've exhausted their sources

· SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,732 Posts
Northwest Oregon here. Shop updated me and said they are currently calling around to find a the spindle and upper? control arm. They will be reluctant to source if I bring them anything (on policy), but they might consider an exception. They will let me know if they've exhausted their sources
Don't let them turn this into a 5 star Concours restoration. This really isn't a difficult job, even for the inexperienced. I'd be willing to bet you can find plenty yards that have these parts on www.car-part.com.

· Super Moderator
14,406 Posts
Knuckle and arms can be from any tbird or cougar, and even mark viii's. 93 to 98.

· Registered
96 | 4.6
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Hey folks, good day. Few more questions regarding this, eh, journey

The shop is having difficulty finding the knuckle, so they're welcoming that I bring in the part. Apparently, the parts he did find we're too small. So there's more than one size, right? Its either 7.5, or 8.5. Are there other incompatible variations, like for example, from 3.8L models?
I can call around the car-parts browser, but I am worried that I'll run into the same problem and obtain the wrong size. I don't see much data [Edit: from yards] regarding the sizing, unless I am not looking thoroughly enough

Shop says that the UCA/LCA/Knuckle/Wheel Assembly are one unit. Is that how they will be provided, unified? Or am I going to seek out each part

The axle went kaboom, but they can get those

In what way is the Mark VIII part an upgrade, and what would it be like if half of the rear was MVIII sourced?

· Registered
6,207 Posts
The only difference is disc or drum brakes. And that's just two extra holes tapped on the knuckle. Mark knuckles should all be disc variety.

The knuckles are not part of an assembly; you can source each component separately if necessary. They are RH / LH specific.

Shouldn't be too hard to find; worst case, some of us have extra "junk" laying around .. 😉

· Registered
96 | 4.6
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Interesting. Thank you Dub. The 7.5 is drum and the 8.5 is disc, I gather then?

Is the Wheel Assembly, UCA, LCA universal for FN10/MN12s or do they need to correspond with the 7.5 and 8.5 .

If the junkyards aren't sure the difference, then I might be sending out a feeler to the community soon. If it's as simple as disc and drum then Im sure the yards can figure it out

· Registered
5,223 Posts
There isn't an pick and pull type yard out by you? We have LKQ yards here in California and a few other states where you just go with your own tools and pull the stuff yourself.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts