TCCoA Forums banner

Spun out...

4K views 49 replies 16 participants last post by  Rodeo Joe 
#1 ·
First rain in months. I've never spun out like this.. One shop already rejected the repair. That control arm is snapped. How fucked am I, whats the road forward

See less See more
#32 ·
Knuckle and arms can be from any tbird or cougar, and even mark viii's. 93 to 98.

#33 · (Edited)
Hey folks, good day. Few more questions regarding this, eh, journey

The shop is having difficulty finding the knuckle, so they're welcoming that I bring in the part. Apparently, the parts he did find we're too small. So there's more than one size, right? Its either 7.5, or 8.5. Are there other incompatible variations, like for example, from 3.8L models?
I can call around the car-parts browser, but I am worried that I'll run into the same problem and obtain the wrong size. I don't see much data [Edit: from yards] regarding the sizing, unless I am not looking thoroughly enough

Shop says that the UCA/LCA/Knuckle/Wheel Assembly are one unit. Is that how they will be provided, unified? Or am I going to seek out each part

The axle went kaboom, but they can get those

In what way is the Mark VIII part an upgrade, and what would it be like if half of the rear was MVIII sourced?

#34 ·
The only difference is disc or drum brakes. And that's just two extra holes tapped on the knuckle. Mark knuckles should all be disc variety.

The knuckles are not part of an assembly; you can source each component separately if necessary. They are RH / LH specific.

Shouldn't be too hard to find; worst case, some of us have extra "junk" laying around .. 😉

#35 ·
Interesting. Thank you Dub. The 7.5 is drum and the 8.5 is disc, I gather then?

Is the Wheel Assembly, UCA, LCA universal for FN10/MN12s or do they need to correspond with the 7.5 and 8.5 .

If the junkyards aren't sure the difference, then I might be sending out a feeler to the community soon. If it's as simple as disc and drum then Im sure the yards can figure it out

#40 ·
There isn't an pick and pull type yard out by you? We have LKQ yards here in California and a few other states where you just go with your own tools and pull the stuff yourself.

#41 ·
There may be, there's a one near the shop but I'd hope that they checked that one. I may call them when they open this coming week. I'm referencing the car-part search engine for now.
I think there was one at Eugene, OR at some point. Calling around to some of them, they didn't seem to have the part listed on the search. Perhaps they're not updating their inventory often enough. Odd to think that people are grabbing them after inventory, this part doesn't really fail naturally I'd think.

Yall do have a lot of MN12s down there. I did make contact with a cali company, who had a Mark VIII spindle. The fella said it's ABS type, so he doesn't recommend it for me. I don't have ABS. Maybe that doesn't matter unless it was the other way around

That yard directed me to another yard in cali who has a few. They said they need to double check its still there and they'll call me. The shop was correct: communicating with the yards about this had been difficult, but I have only began searching. If anyone here would benefit from departing one, I'm open to the idea. Really don't want to inconvenience anyone here.

#45 ·
ABS has tone rings inboard on the halfshafts with the sensors mounted on the differential( as an aside that turns out to be why V6s with ABS used 8.8s, 7.5 cases don’t have the sensor mounts), that’s all there is different, and nowhere near the spindle. The mark IRS is identical to ours other than the lightened UCAs and aluminum LCAs and diff case

Just in general You can use ABS anything anywhere if your car doesn’t have it, the component simply goes unused. Many times aftermarket replacement halfshafts and front hubs don’t even specify it, they have the tone rings installed regardless

#47 ·
To remove that part, there's only 3 bolts.If it's a mark, I'd get it at the inside, and take the knuckle, control arms, and axle. The aluminum control arm is an upgrade, but you'd want the pair.

#48 · (Edited)
Well it's back finally. Thank you to all contributors, god knows how much longer this would have taken without your insight. I have new wheels, the mavericks I had are discontinued. They look good enough, but going back on the old images I have - man do I miss those. I took two home, possibly to sell. Here's the new set

There's a few new things I've noticed so far:

1.) The door is more inclined to open all the way, unless it's just been that long since I've operated them heh

2.) There is a slight flappy sound coming from the drivers side front, almost as if theres a sticker on the wheel.

3.) There is a suspicious metal rubbing sound coming from the front of the car. It only happens when the car is cold (its been about 35F), when passing around 1200 rpm. It will happen about 3-5 times before it stops happening again. I will post a video below, but will probably remove the link later. Never heard this before
[Link removed]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.