TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the block apart, and found that every rod bearing was jacked pretty good. As you look at the inside of the rod bearings, they look like material came off from the center out. Is this what a spun rod bearing looks like? And is my crank ruined now too?

Pappy

·
Registered
680 Posts
Well you need to measure the deepest groove in the crank, and compare that to the known good diameter, or another crank journal thats not damaged.

Basically it is common practice to machine the journal down .010 or .020 and go with larger bearings, but by that point you might also be able to find a crank in good enough shape to bolt in as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks guys. Guess I will just buy a new stock crank then.... I don't plan on getting over 300hp, so stock should be good enough correct?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Way good on power.
Make sure the new crank doesn't have grooves in the journal, or you will have to have that one machined as well.
Hell you can probably find plenty of old short blocks that the bearings haven't worn out on yet, and the cranks are still fine.
New bearings and a crank and your good to go.

Of course, I can't help but upgrade things if I'm in that far.
:mad:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Palmguy said:
Just out of curiosity is this on your stock motor or a PI longblock or what?
This is on the 02 Explorer core I bought I couple weeks ago. I knew SOMETHING had to be wrong with it due to the price, but all I bought it for was the block and heads anyway, and those appear to be ok. (I Hope)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hate to say it but Advanced Autosells crank/bearing kits with warranty. Bearings are Clevite77 and you can pick your crank(ie mustang,f-150-needs an 8 bolt flexplate from ford-about 70 bucks you'll have to clearance the cylinder bottoms if you use the f-150 crank-cobra crank).
Just MHO.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GreenBird said:
I got a brand new take out 6 bolt windsor crank from KarKraft for $100 shipped not long ago.
Were they brand new or was it a take-out? I am a little nervous about using take-out parts....

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Pappy said:

Were they brand new or was it a take-out? I am a little nervous about using take-out parts....
take out. mine is in mint condition, you wouldn't think it had ever been used, not a single scratch on the journals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts