TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i start my 89 t bird it starts fine and runs fine in idle , then i put it in gear it kind of sputters a little bit and if i give it gas it stalls , i have to do this a few times before it will acutally go. what could be causing this ? also have a ? about headgaskets , i know its been asked a million times but one more wont hurt. i recently changed my oil and have been running and driving the car. i changed the oil about 3 weeks maybe more ago and it still looks normal. also i stuck my finger in the anti freeze and it wasnt really oily . but my car does seem to be using some coolant, also what should my exhuast look like ? thanks guys

·
Registered
232 Posts
Your car will use a little coolant because of the water evaporating, but it should be a very small bit over a period of time. If you headgaskets are going, the oil and coolant may not change in consistency, though over time it more than likely will. If your exhaust is white in color, and smells sweet than it could be a headgasket. Note when you start your car in cooler weather, this can be confused with water vapor. so check it when its warm. One sure way is to do a compression test and that will for sure tell you if your headgaskets are on the fritz.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
try cleaning your mass airflow sensor. also, try running seafoam through it. you'll have to change your oil again, but could solve the sputter problems. injector cleaners usually work decently too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts