TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey on my 97 tbird I just noticed a squeak/chirping noise from the left rear suspension when going over rough roads. I can only hear it with the window open going through town for example. It’s not very loud but I’d like to see what it is. I tried to check it out myself buy putting my one had in suspension components and trying to compress the car with my other hand last nite. Hard to tell for sure but It feels like possibly the left rear swaybar endlink is squeaking or even the sway bar bushing ?
These are both stock on the car. Car only has 97000 miles.
Could a old or worn out end link or sway bar bushing cause the squeak/chirp I’m describing ?
Thanks !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I painted the rear calipers would that cause it? I used spray paint oops. Maybe I’ll service them and change the end links.
Thanks everyone

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,523 Posts
Sway bar bushings are the first thing that came to mind. Right front bushing on mine was doing that too - I shot some penetrating oil into it and it fixed it right away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I’m thinking starting with the end links on the rear as they are pretty easy. Then go from there.
Doubt the paint did anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found what was making the noise. The left rear seat bar endlink the top bushing is totally gone so the outer metal part is rubbing on the metal mount causing the chirp noise. Ordered some from my local supplier. In the mean time I shot some wurth hhs3000 on it and it’s silenced it for now till I get the links.
The top mount that’s bolted to the sway bar. Is that part available of it ever breaks or doesn’t it only come with the sway bar?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,523 Posts
Are you talking about the bracket? I've never seen it sold separately, but TBH I haven't ever looked. Worst case scenario, just remove it, enlarge the hole where the bolt goes through the bar at, and get the Mark VIII style endlinks. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts