TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nope, its not suspension -- but what I DO know it is NOT the power steering pump and the alternator. Just replaced those (well, the alter about 30m ago). Anyway, on to my annoyance...

Back Story - Belts breaking are bad. Belts wrapping around accessories are even worse. So far, I've lost the alternator and power steering from it. The power steering went because a little thread of rubber/steel wrapped itself around the output shaft and ate the living [email protected]$* out of that seal -- so much that would drop the bottle in 2 days. Just now, I replaced my alternator (showing some good signs of "hey I'm gonna die soon") and sure enough, more rubber/steel. Tentioner was replaced semi recently too, so I don't think its that. Anyway moving on.

I got this ungodly scream that comes out of my engine bay when the car's been running for a few minutes (warms up). My next guess is the water pump ...but when I took the belt off to do the ole "where the hell is this coming from" ...water pump is dead silent, as is the power steering and now, alternator.

Biggest problem is the squeak is so damn loud, its not practical to stick your head under the car and listen -- yea its that loud. Any ideas?

·
Registered
619 Posts
You just replaced the serpentine belt right? Did you make sure the all the ribs were aligned properly on each pulley? I remember when i took my serpentine belt off to change the tensioner and idler pulley i had aligned it wrong and it started screaming like hell too.

If its not that sometimes new belts slip for a while, what i do is take some sandpaper and gently rub it on the ribs of the belt to rough it up so it can grab onto the pulley's and stop screaming. With the belt off the car of course.

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
Let's see; There are two idlers(one is a tensioner), the steering pump, alternator, crank and air conditioner...am I missing anything?

Try turning on the AC on Max and see if the noise goes away... the bearing in the AC clutch doesn't turn when the pump is running.

That's my guess.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You just replaced the serpentine belt right?
...no, actually, its been a while. Heh, I'd be pissed if that was it, but it would fall right in line with everything I've noticed so far... I MIGHT even have a spare one at home, I'll have to check. Funny you'd mention that too -- yesterday when I was swapping the alternator, I had to remove my water pulley to make a bit of room (hot engine's are bad, m'kay?) and when I did so, it made a very interesting squeak as I was trying to remove it (rubbing against the belt). Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Try turning on the AC on Max and see if the noise goes away... the bearing in the AC clutch doesn't turn when the pump is running.

That's my guess.
And that's a good guess with a bit of info I wasn't aware of. I'll try that too. I had suspected the AC clutch for a while now ...BUT I distinctly remember it making that noise when it was both on and off -- shall test again.

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
I had suspected the AC clutch for a while now ...BUT I distinctly remember it making that noise when it was both on and off -- shall test again.
If the AC compressor itself is toast, it can squeal, just like everything else, lol.

The bearing in the clutch gets more wear, tho.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AC on/off made no different -- curious that it could be the belt itself though. Don't remember if I bought one of the "good" belts or the cheap ones. Might as well replaced it (tis cracked when flexed, but nothing bad, just a touch worn).

·
Registered
176 Posts
If your gonna replace the belt do your self a favor and go ahead and get a goodyear gatorback or one of the other name brand( dayco , gates ) but I would HIGHLY recomend the goodyear nothing but good results from many years of using and selling them when I was in the parts business

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, thank you for that and I did (gates, napa) -- I don't think the last one was and honestly, I have NO idea why I wouldn't have ...

You just replaced the serpentine belt right?
I just did and with the engine warm, she's dead silent again -- and this makes me very happy. I chalk that snafu to overthinking :D

Thanks all for the input ...now all I need to do is replace the water pump and AC and I've got all new accessories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts