TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Alabama Chapter Director
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my alternator bout 2 weeks ago & now there is a shrill squealing noise. I was told by a friend that my idler pulley was going bad b/c it was real wobbly, so replaced that and still got the noise. What else could it be? The bearing in the alternator?? Help

·
Registered
96 Posts
Make sure the pulley is facing the right way. Also touch every pulley on the bolt when you just turned the car on and you'll be able to feel the vibiration. Some can get bad, my dad had one on his 97 F150 that had about 7 ball bearings left in it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sometimes the water pump will squeal right before it is about to go....I have had that happen on 2 occasions in the past.....Check the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump, but that isn't a 100% sure way to tell.

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
Mine was the tensioner pulley...

I replaced both last weekend.

Of course, the tensioner bolt is on the other side of the tensioner arm...

It takes about 30 minutes to change; 10mm x 3 bolts, plus the pulley bolt, I think.

It's the same pulley.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Replace the tensioner assembly.

Chance's are its original and it is likely bad.MY car was squealing and I replaced the belt.Next thing I know after about 3 weeks it started again.Turns out the belt was being eating up as there was belt dust all over my alternator.I pull the tensioner and noticed it start to lift off the base very slightly.I changed it and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You could always just buy the bearing and tap the old one out and tap the new one in. Cheaper than buying the pulley.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts