TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, finally got around to working on my squishy pedal. Now at a stop you can get it to the floor and it makes a hissing noise. Driving you dont want to hit it to the floor,but it needs a lot of travel before it bites. Now pumping helps some, and I did just change the front brake hoses, and bled the brakes many times to no avail. Still seems like air in the lines, but I had someone check for leaks while I pumped the brakes. Now the car has ABS, would bleeding both the rear and front on a side at the same time, help ? Any input would be great , thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ran some searches, didnt get much, common the poll i found said alot of you had squishy brakes, but some had decent ones, chime in !

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
u really need a shop manual to bleed ur car if u have ABS brakes.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I read in an article where a mechanic says that when he bleeds brakes in a car with abs he usually does a gravity bleed in which he opens all four bleeders and lets the fluid flow out. With this process you have to make sure that the master cylinder doesn't run dry. I guess one person is watching the bleeding while the other is keeping the master cylinder full. He usually lets it bleed until the fluid is clean meaning that all of the old fluid is out and what is coming out at that point is new fluid. I also heard that they use some device to cycle the abs in order to bleed the abs system. I have never seen the device so i really don't know who does that type of service other than i guess the dealer.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
depends on vehicle, some vehicles require a scan tool to bleed them properly. On our cars, theres a way to turn the motors on without a scan tool, i would have to look in the service manual and look.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wilson if you could do that, that'd be great. 95 with ABS & 4 wheel disc. I have a haynes book..... somewhere. time to find it, stopping this sucker is very unnerving lol

·
Registered
431 Posts
I looked at the service manual for the car and couldn't find a method listed on how to do it without "Anti-Lock Brake Adapter T90P-50-ALA". However with the method they describe and the switches the unit (that I am imagining) has on it there should be a way if we look further into the EVTM to hotwire it so to speak. Lets see if someone already knows how to do it before I go and tell you how to break things though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol that sounds like a good idea, and i'll look up that adaptor? or should i say, does anyone have a way around it, or actually have one? might be a good rental piece :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ok, someone else needs to help this poor guy. I googled this adapter thing and its a nightmare to me already and I don't want to delve into soo many electrical diagrams. There must be another way.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah it is a nightmare, have you seen the abs module underneath the battery on our cars, holy crap i've never seen so many brake lines. no wonder they said ford was a purveyor with all that stuff. but i've tried everything, i'll just find one of those electronic bleeders

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay tried the "Anti-Lock Brake Adapter T90P-50-ALA" and tried to bleed the heck out of the thing with it a couple times, not any better. Next step? master cyclinder, abs module, booster, etc? I did notice that when it snowed here and was spinning the tires i somehow fudged up and abs, the light came on and the pedal was a tiny bit better, and the abs was off, it stoped pretty decent in the snow without it. but anyways, anymore tips suggestions, parts to replace?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i hate to sa it, but this site is so full of idiots i could cry.
Its you brake booster for chrits sake. Pull the four bolts that hold it to the firewall,
remove your master cylinder, and replace it.
Problem solved.

·
Registered
416 Posts
That is why this site is here, to help people that need the help with their cars. If you was aware all along of what the solution was you should have just given the information. Criticizing people here is not what this site is about. We are here to help each other if possible or to share opinions.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey mike when u get it fixed let me know what it was. I have the same problem with my t-bird, but i don't have anti-lock brakes on the car. It happened after i had to remove the caliper from the car because the bolt had frozen and i had to have the bolt extracted at a shop. I might need a new caliper or something else. I am going to try to work on my car once the weather gets better. It has been pretty bad. Looks like no spring again like two years ago. If i get it fixed before you do i will let u know what it was to give u an idea. If you gets your brakes fixed before i get to mine, please let me know what the problem with your brakes was. Well i hope u get your car fixed soon, coz i am sure hoping to get mine fixed for the summer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.