TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best way to remove the stabilizer bar bushings? I got new set of bushings, but can't see a real easy way to replace them. Also looks I will need to cut the old ones to remove them.

At first glance, I thought I could do it from the bottom but see they are mounted from bolts on the top of the sub frame. I could not find anything in my service manual on replacing the bushings.

Any ideas? Small wrench and socket? Go from the top (eh gads...)?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,523 Posts
I used a 1/4" socket set to get at the bolts. I hack sawed the old bushings off (hardest part) but you could probably undo the endlink too.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a 1/4" socket set to get at the bolts. I hack sawed the old bushings off (hardest part) but you could probably undo the endlink too.
I was going to mention using a 1/4" but was not sure it would be strong enough to turn the bolts before the socket snapped.

Thanks terminator.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

Before I read anyone else's posts, I wanted to write down what I found.

The bolts to the bushing housing are easily accessable from the engine bay. The passenger side you will need to remove the air intake tube from the air cleaner, but other than that, a 24" extension, 13mm socket, breaker bar to break the bolt first and power air wrench will wip them out.

The bushings I found will cut right open with a sharp utility or hunting knife. And when I say sharp, I mean a locking blade knife the draws blood looking at it. But like I said, i was able to just push the knife right through the busying, cutting it like a fish.

Putting the new bushing on (after cleaning the area and stabilizer bar with fine steel wool and wiping with a microfiber cloth) was easy using a brake pad spreader or similar spreader tool to hold the bushing open while placing over the bar.

I also cleaned the bolts which helped them to thread in easy during assembly.

How I did the stabilizer bar link is on the other thread. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Note:

Note: If doing both the bushings and the links, tighten links to 28-39 ft lbs before tightening the bushing mounts. Bushing mounts are 29-53 ft lbs. And not that it says anywhere, but I would rotate the tightening of the bolts for each mount by 6 turns on one, 6 turns on the other till they are tight. Then torque to spec. and go the other mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts