TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain to me what the purpose of running a wider rear tire size is? Don't have time to do a search so I'll just ask. I notice quite a few here and mustang sites run like 245/275 or 255/285-295. I can understand the purpose for a straight up drag car, but why on a street/ daily driver car?
Thanks

Jon

·
Super Moderator
12,415 Posts
Same reason as a straight up drag car, Traction. And It looks cool too. :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Most do it for looks. From what i've experience, having a staggered size makes handing MUCH different. Because the rear has more grip then the front it gives the car a push or understeer. That is what i dont like about going with a staggered set up, but it does look damn cool. Rear wheels with a fat lip and steam roller tire just looks bad ass...

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Most do it for looks. From what i've experience, having a staggered size makes handing MUCH different. Because the rear has more grip then the front it gives the car a push or understeer. That is what i dont like about going with a staggered set up, but it does look damn cool. Rear wheels with a fat lip and steam roller tire just looks bad ass...
Problem is fixed if you run a huge rear sway bar:tongue::D

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Yep, traction. Even with the staggered setup I run on the XR7, I've yet to lose traction up front in a corner, while traction in the rear is directly related to throttle position.

-Rod

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
Yep, traction. Even with the staggered setup I run on the XR7, I've yet to lose traction up front in a corner, while traction in the rear is directly related to throttle position.

-Rod
I think you mean inversely related.

·
Super Moderator
12,415 Posts
:uppoint:

Or - Directly proportional?

T = SQRT (TIRE SIZE) / THROTTLE POSITION
WEIGHT OF RIGHT FOOT * SHOE SIZE​

Where:
T = Traction

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so, how big a rear sway bar would you run? I've been giving thought to a set of 17's with 245/275 or 255/285. But I knew of the understeer, just not how to overcome that issue. I like to drive a lot of curvy roads around here and I do like how staggered sizes look. Thanks for the responses.

Jon

·
Super Moderator
12,415 Posts
I run the 1.25" Addco in the back and the stock bar still in the front. The 1.25" is the largest size you can run that is still compatible with the stock front bar. Given that changing the front bar is a real PITA, I recommend the 1.25" Addco in the back.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have an 89 SC rear bar, along with the stock 95 SC front bar, on my 95. Running 255/40/19 and 275/35/19 on the car, and usually about 3 psi lower pressure in the rear. Balance is fine, even when I did an open-track event on these.

cheers
Ed N.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
I'm VERY happy with the 1.25" ADDCO's front and rear, Vogtland 1" drop springs, AirLift airbags in the rear coils, and 245/45/17 on the front with 275/50/17 on the rear. Stiffen up the body with some bracing, lighten the car a bit, add some power, and you've got a fun corner carver.

-Rod

1 - 14 of 14 Posts