TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wanderin if my 95 t bird was a lock up or non lock up.i was told non but id like more input i want to put in a stall but was told i need also a input shaft to run a lockup converter also any advice how to change input shafts im lost here

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
you have a lock up convertor....If you dont want to spend big cash, get a Maruader TC and flexplate, you can use the Mk8 flexplate. Although, i take it your 95 trans is original yes or no? To be honest with you, the 94-95 4R70Ws are a piece of dog. You could spend the cash and get a built trans from Dennis Reinhart in Jax....or could get a newer Mustang GT 4R. Also read the transmission articles in the tech section to familiarize yourself more with the slushbox.

joseph

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The 4R70W uses a computer controlled Torque converter clutch (TCC) for lockup. Keep that feature, its best for top end HP and gas mileage too. Precision Industries makes aftermarket TC's, as well as Morris... dont know any others this late in the evening. lol. Hope that helps and Welcome to the club! :)

BTW,
I think the TC's are the weakest link in 94-5 transmissions. 96+ had better VB's, and later ones also had better cases, and 98+ have the mech diode, but I see a lot of failures caused by TCC's wearing out. High torque engines will stress out a stock MN12 4R70W eventually though... but not always. A-train is still running his 1995 OEM trans even behind his AED kit, so you never know how long itll last.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well right now i have a 5.4 motor waiting to go insome how i ended up with a flex plate that fit my tc a 8 bolt pattern in back of the motor even though they said it wouldnt fit in the tccoa tech articles i read in so you want displacement but the whole reasoning i was interest was a weird stall when i was in second to third gear cruising speed not quite acelerating id would just start hesitating until i would punch it

·
Registered
3,178 Posts

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
whats a really good TC converter to upgrade to, i hear the mark viii's are good, but what is the opinion on aftermarkets??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could i use a 5.4 tc since i have the motor and flexplate or would the center be a smaller size like the article said about the 95 and newer trannys

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I suppose it would work, but I would think the stall speed would be lower than it would with a MarkVIII/Mustang TC. If you have the right flexplate that fits both the TC and has 8 bolts it would work. I'd have to see the K spec of the 5.4L one to know for sure about the stall speed though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got mine from www.transmissioncenter.net. I had too because of the shudder and it's a 2300 stall. I dropped .20 off the 1/4 and the trans fells stronger then ever. (no shift kit yet) I also spin in 2nd easier most likely because the converter grabs more. just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
5.4blkbird said:
could i use a 5.4 tc since i have the motor and flexplate or would the center be a smaller size like the article said about the 95 and newer trannys
You need an 8 bolt flex plate for that motor. I used a billit one in my car.

EDIT: You can use a 4.6L TQ as long as you are using a 4R70W. I recommend a stall converter like from a Mark VIII. I do not think the truck comes with a stall converter. I have a Pro Torque.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would also recommend a new trans. If your serious about performance. like a 98 and up,you can find them $400 and under. And at least the marauder/mark 8 or higher stall converter.:cbones:

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
FLABIRD said:
like a 98 and up,you can find them $400 and under.

where can i get me one for that price???

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I got my 2000 GT converter from a guy on corral.net's classifieds for 70 bucks shipped. It had 20,000 miles on it.

Pete

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
any word on where i can score a mustang tranny????

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
smokymance said:
any word on where i can score a mustang tranny????
Belleville,Michigan
$450.01
37K miles
'98 Gt trans with t/c
LKQ of MI-1-800-686-8494
stock number M31171
JL

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
is the AOD on the 89-93s lockup or non?
ALL AOD's are lockup, but they use a different TC than an AODE/4R70W does. AODs are mechanically locked in 3rd and 4th gears at all times.
There are people with nonlockup AOD's but it requires a special aftermarket input shaft, and frankly it's a stupid thing to do, IMO. It wastes HP and gas mileage.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
one quick question...what needs to be done to throw a mustang tranny on a birdy...also what are some benefits from a mustang auto tranny? thanks

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I would like to know the same thing smokey. Does the mustang tranny have more clutches or is the valve body just that much better?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
1998+ trannies have upgraded internals (Mechanical diode one-way,etc) and 99+ GT's have a valve body that's much better than what we have. Some of the clutch materials and steel thicknesses have also changed to provide more heat sink.
As far as what would be needed, it would be much like the conversion in my 5.4L tranny article in WIP forum. I've tried to make it complete, it should have anything you'd need. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts