TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the end of a three hour trip earlier this week with the temperature outside hovering around 100ºF when I started to slow down. Giving it gas didn't do anything and the RPMs stayed around 2000, but the car just kept slowing down with RPMs dropping relative to speed until I eventually had to pull over and stop, at which point the car died. I let it sit for a couple minutes then it had trouble starting but it made it. I was able to go about 700 feet until similar symptoms stopped me. Let it sit longer this time and was eventually able to make it home.

• Had a quarter tank of gas
  • Temp gauge read normal
  • Voltage was fine
  • Plenty of oil
  • Plenty of Transmission fluid
  • Air filter clean
  • Fuel filter changed less than 6 months ago
  • Check Engine light never came on.
Any ideas? It's a 3.8L.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolant is full. Cleaned the MAF about the same time I changed the fuel filter. I might check the thermostat out tomorrow.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Plugged cats..

My first time was exactly the same thing. Cruisin down the highway then I couldn't hold speed any longer.
The engine just wouldn't rev beyond around 2k.

I limped it home, it didn't even have enough power to drive up the car ramps, I had to get a running start.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car runs fine now with full power though and I never did anything except wait about 15 minutes. I've only made short 30 minute trips though. I have another three hour drive later this week. I guess I'll see if the problem occurs again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts