TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently trouble shooting a 95 w/ a 4.6 at my shop and I'm finally breaking down and asking for some opinions.

Problem: Occasionally stalls out when put in reverse/drive after start up and sometimes after 10 min. warm up.

what i've done thus far:

I've done a full tune up on this woman's car. Checked relentlessly for vacuum leaks everywhere and haven't found one yet. Plugs have been checked and rechecked. Fuel pressure is spot on. I've cleaned the injectors and had them flow tested last week and they came back kosher. I'm getting full spark on all cylinders, compression test came back spot on. fuel, air, oil filter were all changed.

No codes are showing up, and all i can think is a fuel pressure regulator which im waiting on delivery of right now. However if a FPR was going out wouldn't that show up on the fuel pressure test at the rail?

also all fuel lines are in great shape. car has been garage kept she is the original owner.

any ideas?

Travis

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
IAC is probably going out....to find out for sure, you need a good ford scanner to view the maf flow in either A/D counts or #/min, IAC duty cycle, ISC integrator, and the spark......right when it stalls out, and the split second before, if the duty cycle goes up along with the integrator & spark, but airflow/counts plummet, it means that the iac is not opening to put in the extra air it needs to idle in gear

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm currently trouble shooting a 95 w/ a 4.6 at my shop and I'm finally breaking down and asking for some opinions.

Problem: Occasionally stalls out when put in reverse/drive after start up and sometimes after 10 min. warm up.

what i've done thus far:

I've done a full tune up on this woman's car. Checked relentlessly for vacuum leaks everywhere and haven't found one yet. Plugs have been checked and rechecked. Fuel pressure is spot on. I've cleaned the injectors and had them flow tested last week and they came back kosher. I'm getting full spark on all cylinders, compression test came back spot on. fuel, air, oil filter were all changed.

No codes are showing up, and all i can think is a fuel pressure regulator which im waiting on delivery of right now. However if a FPR was going out wouldn't that show up on the fuel pressure test at the rail?

also all fuel lines are in great shape. car has been garage kept she is the original owner.

any ideas?

Travis
I doubt its the FPR with good fuel pressure. Maybe loosen the iac and see if it stalls. That will let some extra air in, or keep your foot on the gas a bit, same idea. Like guitar said, Would like to see fuel trims, baro parameter, and air flow. How about TPS, IAC, IAT? EGR leaks? DPFE 1 or .5 volts at idle? No major evap leaks? PCV and gromet ok? Engine should run fine.

What about a transmission issue - like the TC locking up somehow and stalling the engine? Like a solenoid stuck or something...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts