TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok i have another problem then. The last time i went to get a cel checked, they told me there was no power going to the obd2 output. However, all of my fuses are good. What would make that not recieve power? It hasnt worked since my heater core blew out. I don't know if the coolant could have ruined some connections.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
those wires leading into the obd port easily corrode from the inside. Ask me how I know. The main culprit is the ground wire on the obd port. If there is no ground, then it can seem as if there is no power at all. So it could easily be it. I just bought a new obd port with pigtail for like $25 and just soldered it in, and it's been good ever since.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok i have another problem then. The last time i went to get a cel checked, they told me there was no power going to the obd2 output. However, all of my fuses are good. What would make that not recieve power?
Had the same problem, couldn't figure out why there was no power at the port. 3 different scanners ranging from 500$ to 6000$ would not power on when plugged in. While I was hanging upside down testing wires and such I decided to unscrew the port from the car. I plugged the reader in and it worked! Looks like the way the port is/was mounted to the car wouldn't allow the reader to fit completely into it, there was about 1/8th inch difference out of port when the plug was mounted. Something to try...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks guys. Both of those are good suggestions that will hopefully help. GM, where did you find the obd port. I have found a couple online but they say they are for Chevy's. I don't know that it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1996 ford thunderbird 4.6L V8 tan interior
37 Posts
that is the problem. i have gone around with my propane and i can not get it to stall or change rpm anywhere i spray it.
ever find out what it was..? man I’m having the same exact problem as you. I have a 96’ tbird 4.6L V8

21 - 26 of 26 Posts