TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really could use your guys' help with this, as my Ford dealer is StUMPED...:confused:

Car is a 97' T'Bird 4.6. Only engine Mod is K&N Filter.
Car has 101,000 miles.

Car is used every other day for short trips and on weekends.

After sitting for day without being driven, the following occurs.

Car will start fine.

Car will run normally for Approx one mile.

First traffic light after the mile of driving with radio and A/C on, the car will begin to "hum". It will hum for about 10 seconds, then the dashlights come on (all of them), and the car will stall.

On two occasions when this happened, the car started right back up and ran like nothing happened.

The last time (third), the car stalled at the light (one mile away again). It made the "hum" for 10 seconds and died. This time, the dashlights came on, but the car would NOT restart. It just sat there. Turn the key and NOTHING. No electrical activity at all from starter. Power windows and radio were OUT, but headlights worked as did hazzard lights. The steering wheel was locked out and the key would not release to "off". It was stuck "on" and would only turn to start position.

I pushed car off of road about 30 ft. I was able to turn wheel to get off road.
Put car in park and it started right up. No hesitation or any sign that it was going to stall out again. Drove it home without incident.

Next morning, drove car to dealer without incident.

What can this be? I thought I heard the serp belt whistling a few times, but it may have been another car nearby.

Any ideas? Once again, dealer is stumped, so ideas would be great...

·
Banned
377 Posts
altenator(connectors as well), battery cables or battery itself...my bosses durango was having simmular problems.. i took him to walmart to get a new battery, after installing it he had the same problems..bad new battery..lol...we went to sears and got a diehard...problems were gone after that...autozone will test ur battery and alternator for free...but if i had to throw a guess out there...battery, alternator or wires...what alot of people miss is the battery cable running down to the starter (corroded or loose)...this is another possibility.

·
5,650 Posts
Idle Air Control (IAC) valve most likely. The "hum" may be the sound of the air going through this as it is malfunctioning. It's very common for them to get dirty and/or fail.

You may also have an eletrical issue as strung suggested. The problems you described the last time you had problems could easily be caused by corrosion on the battery terminals or cables.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Idle Air Control (IAC) valve most likely. The "hum" may be the sound of the air going through this as it is malfunctioning. It's very common for them to get dirty and/or fail.
That was my first guess too, but that problem isn't typically associated with dash lights...unless he is referring to what comes on after the car dies. It also wouldn't prevent the car from starting or keep the steering wheel from unlocking or the key from releasing.

My first bet would be the ignition switch is starting to act up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the same problem out of my 92 5.0. This was during winter mind you, and the way it worked with mine is it would start fine, run fine for about a mile, and when it started to visibly warm up, it would die at the first red light I came to unless I kept the gas pressed ever so slightly. It would often not want to start back either. After the incident it would typically run fine as long as i didn't let it cool back down. Warm weather came and it stopped doing this, but then quit working all together. I replaced the battery cables and it starts now, but I won't know if it still has the stalling problem until cold weather comes again. Have you checked your temp gauge when it stalled? Until you get to the root of the problem, the safest way to deal with this might be to let your engine warm up before driving. If its like mine it will stall warming up occasionally as well, but as I said after it got to normal running temp, mine ran just fine. In a nutshell, notice if it dies at a particular temperature.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also, are you sure the hum isn't the fuel pump? I don't know about the 97 models, but my fuel pump is LOUD, especially if I don't have much gas in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts