TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 bird love the car just one problem, once out of like 12 starts or so it will idle perfectly untill I put it in gear. As soon as its in gear it will sputter and stall, but if I get in the gas quick it doesnt stall except I take off like a bat out of Hel*

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IAC, i did a search and I saw where the IAC is, but I dont know what it does, or how it works?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
The IAC (idle air control) is the sensor bolted to the top of your throttle body with two bolts. It is basically a motorized valve that is used to control the idle speed of the engine. The EEC opens and closes the IAC to allow more or less air to enter the intake, thereby raising or lowering the idle rpm. It really comes into play when the load on the engine changes at idle (putting the transmission in gear or turning on the A/C, for instance), or when you let off the accelerator abruptly.

You can try taking it off and cleaning it out, or try a new one. Are you getting a check engine light?

-Rod

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
naw, I dont get any lights, I just put it in gear and it sputters to a stall, the IAC what should I use to clean it, like non flammable brake cleaner, windex, or grease remover, the less money I have to spend and time of tracking a new IAC down teh better

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Different people will have different opinions on what to clean it with. Personally, I would use throttle body/carb cleaner.

-Rod

1 - 6 of 6 Posts