TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Suddenly my car will not idle when in gear. It started and ran ok when I left for work, 55 kilometers of freeway later I get into the small town where I work, stop at a light and the engine quits. I start it, starts immediately but as soon as I put it in gear, it quits. I had to rev to about 1500 and just nail the gas right away to keep it running, (leaving about 10 feet of rubber). It runs great otherwise. I reset the computer by removing fuse # 14 and attempting to start the car, but it didn't help..

Any ideas? It has good vacuum 19 in or better, fuel pressure is usual 32 psi, goes to about 38-39 on full throttle.

Lot's of power, no gas smell, no smoke, and so far, no codes.

:mad:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I would suspect a dirty/bad IAC. Try taking it apart and cleaning it. Might as well clean the MAF sensor too. Good luck man, let me know how it goes.
-Rob

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes. That thing is buried under my supercharger.

I am pulling the engine, hopefully this weekend. I have an almost new IAC on the 2000 GT, I wonder if it would fit?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't swap out, but then again, I haven't really messed with any of the newer 4.6s. It bolts right onto the intake plenum (for people with plastic intake manifolds). If the wire plugs are the same between the cars, it's worth a shot switching them. I just mentioned cleaning because its easy to do and FREE! What kinda s/c and intake setup do you have? I don't know much about superchargers! Let me know how it goes.
-Rob

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Allen Engineering supercharger.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It really sounds like you are stuck in converter lock-up.
When going slow enough to be in first, if you hit the gas, does the rpm raise quickly?
If you have a fluid coupling it will have some slush that a locked clutch won't. The converter isn't supposed to lock in low, so this is a valid test.
Good luck, BMan.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what my mechanic friend says too. What do you do about it?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After driving to work today, the flippin thing is now working alright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts