TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just recently done a headgasket job on my 89 XR7.
Car will NOT idle at all without help, it backfires below 2k rpms. However it feels like it has decent power and does not run as rough above 2k rpms.
Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

·
Super Moderator
12,413 Posts
I'm no expert but it sounds like a timing issue.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
What do you mean by recently? Did the problem appear immediately after you put it back together? If so, double check everything. Plug wires, etc...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Recently as in two days ago. Has not run right since it was back together. It ran better when it had the bad headgaskets to be honest. Plugs all looked good when I had the heads off. I tried the starting fluid trick to find any vacuum leaks with no luck. Checked the plug wires to make sure I had them all in the correct order on the coil pack also. Not sure where to go from here

http://youtu.be/EyYzT5pUCDQ
Here is a video of it running. I had to use the throttle to keep it running that's why rpm is all over the place

Please, any ideas would be appreciated. I did the paperclip test for codes and it pulled a "216 C DIS fault ignition system - coil #2"
I had the dis module tested and it tested good 3 times

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm not a skilled mechanic When my V6 sounds like that its usually a bad or loose spark plug wire. Sounds like a big miss on your recording like 5 of six cylinders firing on my Chevy V6

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have since solved this problem! It ended up being I did not put the pcv valve back on ! Of all things lol, it was sucking air where the pcv system plumbs into the intake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts