TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking around to see if I could find some aftermarket standalone ECU’s but I can’t find much. Anyone else have one or know of any good ones to buy?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Im a fan of Haltech 1500s personally. But thats because they are able to controll a lot more than, as I understand, the stock computer can do.

Anti lag during closed throttle.
Rolling two step.
Boost by gear.
Individual cylinder tuning for both injector flow and pulses, along with spark control.
Variable cam control.
4D tuning tables.

If the EECV can do that, Ill save the money and configure one of them to run the 3.8 v6 and 4.2 I6 builds Im planning.

·
Super Moderator
7,974 Posts
Reactions: Wile E. Coyote Jr.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you arent doing nutty stuff, like twin turbo V6s with anti lag to keep the turbos spooled unloaded, that can control if you have 5 psi or 13psi depending on what gear you shift to, the stock stuff will be fine.

A lot of guys are making 700+ hp on stock EECs.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,264 Posts
As far as I know you can't tune the stock ECU as well as aftermarket ones
Lol, what? This is just as good a start as any.

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
211 Posts
It is nice to hear that the MN12 ECU is very open. Lots of new ECUs that I have learned about are very locked down which is why OP asked the question in the first place. I had the same question until I learned that early ECUs are wide open almost. A company that makes piggyback ECUs is actually thinking of making a completely new ECU because these manufacturers are getting better and better at detecting any tampering. It is nice to know that this car has none of those concerns. I was thinking of getting a piggyback ECU untill I learned this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, what? This is just as good a start as any.

From what I was told the ECU didn’t have the brain to change and get a new tune I wasn’t aware that you could tune the stock ECU that’s why I made the thread to try and see the options out there

·
Super Moderator
5,518 Posts
That’s true for older EEC IV (OBD I) EECs that need an external chip to alter the tune but for EEC V they can be reprogrammed via the OBD II port
OTOH, if it's a EEC IV, you do have the Moates Quarterhorse available; that's a big kick in the tail for programmability.

With Binary Editor or Tuner Pro RT, you could have a bit more flexibility than the OBDII exposes.

RwP

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use QH with Binary editor along with a more detailed strategy in mine. Has all the settings that you would need to adjust. SCT was to start with and I ended up going to the QH. I’m running an old Allen charger, water meth and a little nitrous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts