TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i know squat about the 4.6 anything. my buddy's got a Tbird, i picked up on things from him. i drive a mustang, but am looking at a 96 Cougar XR-7. 109k on it. he says it runs rough and he brought it to some mechanic and he says it might be the intake, which i know about. he also said that its leaking. what? i dont know. he said something about coolant. the guy was a sausage. i know its vague but what are your thoughts on this? my buddies 'bird had a bad intake, leaked coolant all over and they replaced under the warrenty. i wish i had more info. any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forums.

There's several reasons as to why the 4.6L engine will run rough. Here's a flow chart from the 1996 PC/ED (Powertrain Control/Emission Dignosis) Manual. This chart will assist you in where to look (or at least start to look!). Check the vacuum lines, as some are joined with rubber parts that deteriorate and split open. Try a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor cleaning. It may be time for new plugs and wires, as well as a new fuel filter.

A coolant leak could have several causes, such as a bad water pump, cracked hoses, pinhole leaks in the radiator or heater core, cracked reservoir, or bad gaskets. Providing the location of the leak will help in isolating what to do.

Try searches here for other ideas on these topics. Good luck to you!

--Pete

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The coolant crossover cracks because it's plastic. the fix is a new intake with an aluminum crossover. a 96 is past the 7 year warrenty on the intake.

Should be able to find an intake for $100 to $200. No other parts are needed unless you want to replace the re-useable gaskets, the only special tools needed are a torque wench and 3/4" fuel line disconnect tool.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
it probably just needs a tune up and the maf cleaned.

also, I'm gonn have an intake for sale in 2 weeks with the aluminum crossover.

Frank

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
I'm not sure what they go for new, i had mine replaced free under the recall. i'll sell it for $100. its only been on my car for 14,000 miles.

Frank

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
They were going for $215, but then the silent recall eneded and the price shot upto $600-something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts