TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I liked the first installment, but I would have left Wrath of Khan alone this time around.

But that's just me. :zdunno:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I liked it. For these new ST movies, you have to forget the previous shows/movies. Trying to tie both of them together is pretty much impossible. After Vulcan got destroyed, all the old stuff died with it.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I liked it. For these new ST movies, you have to forget the previous shows/movies. Trying to tie both of them together is pretty much impossible. After Vulcan got destroyed, all the old stuff died with it.
It's what I heard as well. From my movie-buff friend, he says that the reason why they did this is because the ST super-geek fan base is small in comparison to the number of people the movie could appeal to. They wanted to "broaden the audience" is what he said.

·
Super Moderator
9,185 Posts
I thought it was good - but as a whole I feel the new movies kind of leave behind the "old" Star Trek themes in favor of vivid action scenes (not opposed to that, they just feel very different). I suppose that's part of the "broaden the audience" thing. It works, but as a fan of both the old and new stuff I can say you have to take them both as what they were supposed to be, and to not compare them to each other.

In particular I kind of thought it odd that the one death scene in particular was almost verbatim to its cousin from a previous film... Whether it was supposed to pay homage to the earlier film or demonstrate the characters' similarities to their "alternate reality" selves, I have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
11,924 Posts
I thought it was good - but as a whole I feel the new movies kind of leave behind the "old" Star Trek themes in favor of vivid action scenes (not opposed to that, they just feel very different). I suppose that's part of the "broaden the audience" thing. It works, but as a fan of both the old and new stuff I can say you have to take them both as what they were supposed to be, and to not compare them to each other.

In particular I kind of thought it odd that the one death scene in particular was almost verbatim to its cousin from a previous film... Whether it was supposed to pay homage to the earlier film or demonstrate the characters' similarities to their "alternate reality" selves, I have no idea.
When they up the "vivid action scenes" the plot suffers accordingly. When Spock and he were fighting on top of the transport at the end I couldn't help but see the similarity with the opening scene of Skyfall where Bond is fighting on top of the train.

x2 about the "death scene"...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts