TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about this once before, awhile ago, but can't remember the name of the part for the life of me. So, I'm going to ask.

On cool mornings, when I turn the key to start the car, it starts amost instantly. Now once the engine has warmed up to normal temperature, or even when the temperature outside is warm, the engine cranks a couple times before it finally starts.

What is the cause to this?

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ttt

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should stick with a motorcraft starter? I found them on rockauto.com for 58 bucks not including shipping. They alos have bosch and some other brands too.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
make sure you get the cylinoid ( i know im mis-spellng that ). but yeah motorcraft is pretty good, but anyone that is made for your car will work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For your 89 3.8 the solenoid is on drivers side fender well, just between your battery and fuse box. They are like 8 bucks at autozone. The starter looks like it has one on it but that is not it.

EDIT: OOPS I thought you had a t-bird. I have no idea where your solenoid is. LOL.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's not the solenoid you all are describing, that's the starter relay. The solenoid is the little tube mounted on the starter that you connect the stater wires to. It converts electrical energy into linear motion, engaging the starter gear to the flywheel.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
well some cars have the solenoid on the fender wall, and some have them on the starter itselft. it just depends on the year t-bird. so if it's called a different name. sorry, wrong terminology on my part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts