TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Mercury Cougar Xr-7 4.6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing a transmission swap as mine went out. I've gotten everything completely ready to drop but that dreaded top starter bolt. Bolt head is stripped and the bolt extractor kit I got won't even back it out. It's in such a tight spot and I'm running out of ideas on how to get this out. I'm not so worried about this trans since it's broke. And I'm not worried about the bolt either as I'm contemplating not putting it back in and running the two bolts with a little blue loctite. I just need the bolt out so I can get the trans down. Any body with the same issue before and had a solution.

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
vicegrips on what is left usually works.

·
Registered
97 Mercury Cougar Xr-7 4.6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vicegrips on what is left usually works.
The problem there is that top bolt is in a super tight spot. Idk if they would fit. I don't wanna have to drop the k member but I might end up having to.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Depending how stripped it is you can sometimes hammer the next sized smaller socket onto it (definitely try a 6 point, and maybe SAE if applicable).

Also- PRO TIP- Before trying to loosen the top bolt, put the other two bolts back in and tighten them snugly. This will take the stress of the entire starter off of the top bolt and help it come out more easily.

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
That's the one I use two swivels, multiple extensions, and a hole in the chassis to take in/out.

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
The first thing to try is to use a dremel to cut a slot in it you can get a screwdriver in. Then try the epoxy/weld a new bolt to it. Then you go to drilling it out.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Leave that bolt out when you put it back together. I have had that bolt out for 17 years with no ill effect.

Reactions: XR7-4.6
1 - 7 of 7 Posts