TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would anyone know the dimensions of the starter bolts, particularly the top one? If it makes any difference, it’s for a '94 Super Coupe with an automatic transmission and a factory starter. Any input is welcome. Thank you in advance.

-Allan V

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well ok I found (well actually my dad, Allan, found) the correct bolt size for the starter bolts from Auto Zone. They are 3/8"-16 x 1-1/2" hex flanged cap screws with no shoulders (Threads from the tip to the head. It was hard to thread in so I had to clean the bell housing threads and anti-seize the bolt.

-Allan V

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That’s what I thought so I tried two other metric sizes. One metric one threaded in but it wiggled. The other metric one threaded in two turns and stopped. The reason why I was more or less positive that it was hard to thread the standard size was, like I said, because it was dirty. The top starter bolt boss is solid in the back, thus collecting contaminants. The bottom starter bolt, using the standard size bolt, threaded in like butter. The boss for the bottom bolt is open right through the bell housing, hopefully allowing contaminants to be easily cleared. I believe it was someone on SCCoA from the ford parts counter who pointed my dad to look at the standard bolt sizes for the starter. But the rest of the bell-housing bolts I believe are metric.

-Allan V

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
i would have pulled one of the lower bellhousing bolts to match the threads. they should be the same.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I tried to match up the bolts it was the same thing, wiggle or it didnt thread. I tried atleast a dozen bolts, luckely i had an MR52 sitting in the garage to test it, rather than crawling under the car for each one.

-Allan V

1 - 6 of 6 Posts