TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this before, but...........I forgot what the response(s) were.

First thing in the morning, I go out to start the thunderchicken, and nothing happens. New sparks plugs and wires a month ago, filter a little over a year ago. The only thing that will make her start, starter fluid sprayed down the air tube over the MAF. And even then, it takes a bit to go. Is there is gauge that I can get that will test the fuel pressure and what is it called?

After it starts, it will restart all day with no trouble. Just if it sits overnight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I posted this before, but...........I forgot what the response(s) were.

First thing in the morning, I go out to start the thunderchicken, and nothing happens. New sparks plugs and wires a month ago, filter a little over a year ago. The only thing that will make her start, starter fluid sprayed down the air tube over the MAF. And even then, it takes a bit to go. Is there is gauge that I can get that will test the fuel pressure and what is it called?

After it starts, it will restart all day with no trouble. Just if it sits overnight.

Thanks!
Try this trick. Turn the key on. Turn the key off. Repeat about 4 - 5 times.
Once it pumps up the pump will sound differently, and start.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Do try what I suggested and get back.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still have the problem it seems. I have gone through 2 cans of starter fluid since I started this thread. Sometimes the car fires up with out it, well, most of the time really. I have tried the key turn thing, but that does not do it. I will get the fuel test kit next week and see if it tells me anything useful. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I still have the problem it seems. I have gone through 2 cans of starter fluid since I started this thread. Sometimes the car fires up with out it, well, most of the time really. I have tried the key turn thing, but that does not do it. I will get the fuel test kit next week and see if it tells me anything useful. Thanks!
Start with a new fuel filter. Much cheaper and easier than a fuel pump. See what happens. You keep feeding the fluid to it, you're gonna have to check it into a twelve step program!

·
Registered
219 Posts
i'd be willing to say the fuel pump as others have mentioned . i dont know how the ones in our fords compare to a gm but ... i had a 97 gmc sierra i picked up dirt cheap as it had the same issues , and the kid sold it to me due to this . i had to use fluid too fire it then it would start all day long no problem . gm pumps have a check ball that is in line in the pump that when the vehicle is not running seals off the line to keep fuel in the system . in mines case the check ball went bad , causing the issues , and necessitating a pump change . i'd be willing to say it's the same thing . { don't care for gm's and don't throw rocks fella's but at 1000 for a fully loaded , all the toy's extended cab i couldn't pass it up , and it's gone now ! }

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try this trick. Turn the key on. Turn the key off. Repeat about 4 - 5 times.
Once it pumps up the pump will sound differently, and start.
I really enjoy the tips & techniques from knowledgeable people. When you turn the key to the "ON" position, it powers the fuel pump to start sending fuel down the line. When you turn the key ON then OFF a few times, you are priming the fuel pump a few times, pumping more fuel down the line. So if the fuel pump is weak, you give it more tries to pump enough fuel into the system. A great tip, I will remember this one.

For the OP, hope you find the problem and its a quick & inexpensive fix. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Yes, sometimes the key thing works, but not always. FYI, my fuel filter was plugged solid just a few weeks ago and I hooked up a fuel pressure test kit to the fuel rail. The pressure always read in the 35-40 psi range which is perfect; yet when I pulled the fuel filter off, the crap that came out of it was almost solid black and I could NOT blow through it. I found it kind of startling to be truthful - why didn't the pressure test reflect the blockage (strong fuel pump, maybe)? :zdunno:

I wound up eating crow in that situation with my GF because she said fuel filter all along, and I said No, I checked the pressure and everything is fine! LOL

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, sometimes the key thing works, but not always. FYI, my fuel filter was plugged solid just a few weeks ago and I hooked up a fuel pressure test kit to the fuel rail. The pressure always read in the 35-40 psi range which is perfect; yet when I pulled the fuel filter off, the crap that came out of it was almost solid black and I could NOT blow through it. I found it kind of startling to be truthful - why didn't the pressure test reflect the blockage (strong fuel pump, maybe)? :zdunno:

I wound up eating crow in that situation with my GF because she said fuel filter all along, and I said No, I checked the pressure and everything is fine! LOL
LOL Same thing happened to me in my Exporer. Fuel pressure was great, but when I pulled my filter off, it was clogged. I actually got a "blowback" when I tried to blow through it.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I forget, how often should the fuel filter be changed?

Silly me, just searched it. 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Pressure will check good with a plugged filter if fuel is still getting thru. In that case, the flow would be less than needed and cause the starting problems. I agree with what has been stated. Replace the filter, $10, then look at the pump if your problem doesn't go away.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pressure will check good with a plugged filter if fuel is still getting thru. In that case, the flow would be less than needed and cause the starting problems. I agree with what has been stated. Replace the filter, $10, then look at the pump if your problem doesn't go away.
this statment is true, a restriction dose not regulate pressure it only regulates flow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts