TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.... My cougar has recently started pausing just before the engine will crank, but only when cold and has been sitting for a day or more. I turn the key - no noise - then about a second later it cranks over just fine.

I have no other symptoms and have a fairly new battery(less then 2 years) and alternator (6 months).

I read the tech article and it says a similar symptoms but only when hot. The car does not have a problem starting when warmed up.

My only other thought is the ignition switch.....

·
one in a million
146 Posts
Thats how mine started out and then It got worse to the point of not doing anything.

I would have to keep hitting the start position to get it to start..

I got a new one off ebay and solved the problem..

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
On my 96 that was what starterd happening. If I got out of the car and smacked the starter solenoid with a hammer it would start.

Replaced the starter and all was well.

Diagnosis by BFH. LOL

Darrin

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
not enough stars though:confused:
but my starters acting up the same way. i brought it to Part Source and they checked her and told me she's still good. good news can be bad news sometimes.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
not enough stars though:confused:
but my starters acting up the same way. i brought it to Part Source and they checked her and told me she's still good. good news can be bad news sometimes.:rolleyes:
Mine would work fine on the bench. It still does actually.

Darrin

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Mine has been doing this for over 7 years. Ford has a TSB on this. It has to do with a corroded starter solenoid wire plug. They have a "patch" fix for this. It's basically a piece wire with a new greased plug to prevent corrosion. I bought one about 5 years ago, but ended up using it on the crown vic before I had a chance to install it on the bird. Some days the pause is as long as 3-4 seconds.

Jim

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Try this:

Bulletin #: BC8899950401
Sequence #: 39872
Date: 04/01/1995
Component Name: 113100 electrical system:starter assembly:solenoid
Make: Mercury
Model: Cougar
Year: 1994
Summary: Vehicles may exhibit a no crank or intermittent no crank concern due to moisture freeze up in the starter solenoid.

Also:

Bulletin #: BC2966950401
Sequence #: 39850

points to the same thing with the same date, but has different bulletin and sequence numbers.
Hope this helps.

Jim

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
Something else to keep in mind is the ground path back to the battery. The factory ground cables weren't all that great when they were new, not to mention 11+ years later.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had to wait as long as 20 sec. holding the key in the start position. It seemed easier then replacing the starte, Is there a thread on replacing the starter?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It's pretty self explanatory, and will make sense once you're under the car. The only issue you may have to deal with is the top bolt (if still present). It is a pain to get to, and most people end up not reinstalling it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The starter solenoid is now on the starter correct? Not up near the battery like on the older cars?

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Yep.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It's pretty self explanatory, and will make sense once you're under the car. The only issue you may have to deal with is the top bolt (if still present). It is a pain to get to, and most people end up not reinstalling it.
Yup, it IS a P.I.T.A. and nope, mine is NOT installed after removal. I didn't have the patience for struggling with re-installing the top bolt (especially since my hands get stuck). Car still starts every time without it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts