TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had to put a new starter on the bird this weekend which i knew was coming. I have had it off and on several times but i guess i just never looked at it, because this time i did to find out that the teeth were all kinds of messed up, and the solenoid was cracked.
Anyways, ended up buying a motorcraft because i hear that all the others are junk only problem was when i started it back up for the first time it made a nasty grinding noise. At first i was like okay nothing big just the first time starting it...but then i did it 2 more times to find the same results. Im thinking maybe the teeth on the flexplate have a different wear pattern now and maybe its having a hard time adjusting to it? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well had to put a new starter on the bird this weekend which i knew was coming. I have had it off and on several times but i guess i just never looked at it, because this time i did to find out that the teeth were all kinds of messed up, and the solenoid was cracked.
Anyways, ended up buying a motorcraft because i hear that all the others are junk only problem was when i started it back up for the first time it made a nasty grinding noise. At first i was like okay nothing big just the first time starting it...but then i did it 2 more times to find the same results. Im thinking maybe the teeth on the flexplate have a different wear pattern now and maybe its having a hard time adjusting to it? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
Are the teeth on the flywheel visibly intact?

If the starter is bolted in properly the bendix/solenoid could be bad, even on a Motorcraft. They are remaned afterall. I'm assuming proper voltage is getting to the starter and there are no high resistance connections. Worth to check that out with an ohmmeter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the teeth and they look fine shouldn't be getting any high resistance because it will start up hot or cold now. Gonna try to get a different starter tomorrow and ill update, maybe i just got screwed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a re-maned one and it worked fine...sometimes you just get the short end of the stick i guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts