TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday it took about 4-5 sec of turning the key and hearing the starter crank over till the engine would start.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Does not sound like a starter problem, being that it engages and turns the engine over.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
You could have fuel pump starting to go out on you or a weak cell in your battery not give enough amps to turn your starter fast enough.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Hey, it started, right? I see no problem there. How many miles do you have on this thing anyways?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
185,000 miles rebuilt motor with original pistons. And it seems to start up fast sometimes but it seems to only take a while when I have not start started it for about 2hrs or so. If I start it up after I have just shut it off it starts right back up.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Dunno what to tell you. It starts up. Not much could be wrong there.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Your fuel system sounds suspect to me..

Fuel Pressure Regulators rarely break, but it does happen..Which would cause some of the symptoms you're experiencing..

Regardless..I would go to your nearest auto parts store, and rent a Fuel Pressure Tester Kit..

Here's a video that will help walk you through using the Fuel Pressure Gauge..
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aITQclp7zIE"frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Write down all of your readings, and report back here with them..Otherwise consult your Haynes manual..

This should at least get you on the right track..

Good Luck!
:thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Install a fuel pressure gauge and turn the key forward two times. Dont turn the on just forward. See what the pressure is and watch to see if drops fast. If it does the regulator is bad. If it doesn't drop. Turn car on and watch gauge to see if it flutters alot or drops when you hit the throttle. A good pump will increase pressure when you go to wot.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When it is on on Position its at 5psi, at idle its at 32psi. Now after I disconnected it and tried testing it again with throttling the engine the gauge is not working so i got to go to the auto store again.

·
&#775;
3,701 Posts
When it is on on Position its at 5psi, at idle its at 32psi. Now after I disconnected it and tried testing it again with throttling the engine the gauge is not working so i got to go to the auto store again.
With the Engine running at idle it should be 30-45 psi..With the ignition on, or in the run position it should be 35-45 psi..
You might need a helper to cycle the key back and forth for you..

These specs are specific to your NA 3.8L..

If you think the Fuel Pressure Gauge from the parts store is bad..Grab another one..Then report back with the new readings..

Rayo..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I went to another auto part store and I still cant get a reading. But when I take off the gauge gas is coming out. I don't know what else to do but to buy a fuel filter. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

·
&#775;
3,701 Posts
Well I went to another auto part store and I still cant get a reading. But when I take off the gauge gas is coming out. I don't know what else to do but to buy a fuel filter. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
You might get lucky, and it just be a Fuel Filter issue..

If you, or anyone else has ever ran your car out of gas..I'd be willing to bet your fuel filter is pooched..

After you replace the fuel filter..If things don't improve..Consider taking your car to a competent mechanic so he can check your fuel pressure for you..

Rayo..

·
Registered
64 Posts
an 94 f150 in my work has the same problem , i change the fuel filter and it still doing it , i dont know it may be somthing else

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well right now I am just waiting on my fuel filter order, once it comes in and I replace it I will find out for sure if that was the problem cause its doing it more often now.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Fuel filter would not cause a loss of residual pressure ..

Pressure loss comes from either a leaking fuel line ( not likely ) .. leaking fuel injector ( unlikely ), bad pressure regulator ( less likely ) or a bad check valve in the fuel pump motor ( most likely ).

Do the fuel pressure test, Key on / Engine off .. pressure should go up to around 30 psi or so .. if it doesnt hold for at least a few minutes, you have a leak - pinch off the return line with plyers that wont damage the line if this happens .. if it stops pressure loss, you have a bad regulator, if the pressure bleeds down, more likey the fuel pump check valve (pinching the supply line would confirm this )- doesnt mean your pump is BAD, just that the check ball is not seating causing longer cranking time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I changed the fuel filter and it helped out. There is still a delay in starting but its better then what it was before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts