TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I began having starting problems on my automatic '90 XR7. Because I need a foot on the brake to start, I tried jiggling the stoplight switch. That seemed to work. When that stopped working, I replaced the switch. No luck. I jumped around the switch, no luck. Being a Cougar, I replaced the starter relay switch on the fender wall, no luck.

It will start if I jump the poles on the relay switch.

I am starting to think neuteral safety switch. None of my local suppliers carry it, is this a "dealer item"?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
how about if you jiggle/play around with the shifter? Do you really need to have your foot on the brake to start it? I would also try starting it in neutral, and other places, it sounds like the neutral safety switch for sure to me.

A 90 doesn't even have a shift interlock that requires you press the brake to shift out of park.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect the neutral safety switch too, seems to be a dealer item. No local suppliers have it. But, I have always had to step on the brake to start it. Don't have a wiring diagram, but have found mention on the web of necessary signal from the stoplight switch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More exploration. The starter circuit is tied in with the brake lights. So, if the brake lights don't work, or you dn't step on the pedal, it won't start. Stilll, that doesn't seem to be my problem.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Must be one of those SC only things, but I think you are mistaken about needing the brakes depressed to start. Just as a sanity check, because I KNOW it isn't required, I started my 89 consciously not even on the drivers side, and certainly not near the brakes.

No aftermarket alarm installed?

Did you try starting in neutral and moving around the shifter? From what i remember, the safety switch is not even close to the same as the 4R70W, and it is a plunger style that threads in above the linkage. Rock Auto has it, Checker has it (online, same day shipping), but I there are quite a few things that need looked at before replacing it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, here is what I know so far, if I jump around the starter interupter relay, it will start and run, but not at the turn of the key. The jumper is basically "hot wiring" the starter relay. this is the same as if I turn on the ignition and hot wire the relay on ther fender wall.

I am leaning toward the neutral safety switch, but it bothers me that I no longer get the relay "click" when I step on the brake pedal.

·
5,650 Posts
Must be one of those SC only things, but I think you are mistaken about needing the brakes depressed to start. Just as a sanity check, because I KNOW it isn't required, I started my 89 consciously not even on the drivers side, and certainly not near the brakes.
First time I heard someone say that, I thought they must be mistaken too. Then I saw this: http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109831

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if anyone has a doubt about the brake, here it is from the owner's manual (you can thank Adui and "unintended acceleration" for this)

If you have an automatic transmission make sure that the gearshift is in Park, set the parking brake and depress the brake before you turn the key. The starter will operate only if the brake pedal is pushed down.

"Bold" print is from the manual.

A post to Just Answers.com got me this suggestion. Pull the connector from the stop light switch and discard the connector. Replace the connector with crimp on terminals. I mentioned that jiggling the switch had helped, apparently troubles within the connector are common.

I haven't tried this yet. I can start it by hot wiring around the starter interrupt relay. I don't know whether this means a neutral safety switch, or the stop light switch, it jumps both of those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts