TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does Ford thread lock the starter bolts or something..............cause i can't get them out. I'm looking for ideas. Also a good idea to get the top starter bolt. I know i sound like a retard but this is my first starter on a 4.6 and i've never had a starter kick my butt like this before

·
Registered
324 Posts
Can you still start the engine? Or is the starter completely dead?
If you can start the engine and drive the car around for 15 minutes
that will get the block nice and hot. You might have better luck turning
those stuborn bolts out, also give each bolt head a solid hit with a
hammer square on the bolt head while its hot before turning it out.

Hope this helps.

Chris.............................:thumbsup:

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The starter works fine. Doing a torqe coverter swap. There is so much stuff is connected already that starting it is not an option. there is really no room in thees cars to swing a hammer in there either. GRRRRRR i'm really starting to hate this car
after this round of mods i'm paying somebody to do everything on it

·
Registered
324 Posts
What condition are the bolt heads? Are the corners rounded? If your socket
can still get a good grip on the bolt head, hold a steady even pull on the socket
drive or breaker bar (which ever your using). Pull just enough that normally
loosens the bolt but not so much as to snap off or strip the bolt head. Hold
this for a good five minutes. The steady torque will sometimes begin to loosen
the bolt.

Sorry dude thats the beat advice I can offer short of just snapping of the bolt
heads, taking out the damaged bolts with an easyout, taping and inserting a
new threaded insert if the old threads are damaged.:leftright

Good luck

Chris......................

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
Don't worry about that top bolt. If you have to brake the head off, then brake it off. I didn't put the top one back in when I replaced my starter, and neither do alot of other people.

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok cool. when it eventually stops raining around here i guess i'll try the pressure thing. I'm guessin ford does thread lock them in there? Sure seems like they are. Do they have an issue with backing out if they arent thread locked? If thats the case will lock washers work instead ?

The more i work on this modular engine the more i mis a good ole 302

·
Registered
324 Posts
When you do get those bolts out put some anti-seize lube (or engine oil)
on the threads of your new bolts. And yes, use some lock washers.

Chris............

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
You can use lockwashers if you want but I have had my starter out 3 times and just put it back in with the bolts as is. KISS and don't complicate things. My 2 lincolns

·
Registered
175 Posts
one thing i do when i come across a bolt that doesn't wanna let loose is to try loosening, then tightening, then loosening, then tightening, etc.....this will help break it loose, then you should have no problem (in most cases) getting it out the rest of the way.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I just did a shange out myslef it was not pretty....worst experience I have ever had with a starter....good luck...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Try changing the starter with the MAKR VIII oil pan installed.......FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!!!
Had to use a 3 foot extension with a universal just to get to the top bolt.........the bottom 2 aren't bad, but that top one is a total PITA!!!!!!!!!

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks everybody for the help. After breaking an extension, it was war on this bolt. I broke out the torch and heated it up. even then it was still a mother

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Bringing back an old thread. When I took out my starter, it appears as if someone did just like everyone else and didn't bother tightening up the top starter bolt. So here's a tip if you're one of those guys like me that has to have every bolt in its place. You can use a 10mm ratcheting wrench to tighten up the top bolt. Doubt you'll be able to get a torque wrench in there but after what seemed like a million little clicks the damn thing finally tightened up. I had to hold a finger on the top of the wrench over the bolt so it would click without turning the bolt. Oh and I don't have any exhaust attached to the manifold at the moment. I don't think I would even try to get the starter in/out with it attached.

Thank you, that is all... :D

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Al_Florida said:
Bringing back an old thread. When I took out my starter, it appears as if someone did just like everyone else and didn't bother tightening up the top starter bolt. So here's a tip if you're one of those guys like me that has to have every bolt in its place. You can use a 10mm ratcheting wrench to tighten up the top bolt. Doubt you'll be able to get a torque wrench in there but after what seemed like a million little clicks the damn thing finally tightened up. I had to hold a finger on the top of the wrench over the bolt so it would click without turning the bolt. Oh and I don't have any exhaust attached to the manifold at the moment. I don't think I would even try to get the starter in/out with it attached.

Thank you, that is all... :D
1 year later, still no top bolt, doing just fine. The 2 remaining bolts have lock washers on them. The top bolt is too much of a PITA to ever deal with again.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
You'll get no argument from me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts