TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done some searching and consulted a Haynes manual but I still am foggy as to changing my starter. Could anyone provide some pics and maybe more in depth instructions on this? Any tips that would make it simpler?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
well to begin with, it is on the PASSENGER SIDE right near the bellhousing

that's all I know

usually starters are only held on by two, sometimes three bolts... albeit very LONG, sturdy bolts. And then some wires.

It shouldn't be too complicated if your exhaust is stock, I think?

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
Three 10mm bolts. Use a six-point socket, as they are usually frozen up, and it is easy to round the heads off. For the top two bolts, I recommend using a long extension, going in from in front of the engine. You may need to move the AC compressor out of the way.

-Rod

·
Registered
708 Posts
starter really is easy on these cars. one bolt is a pain to get out. so do what most of us do: three bolts come out, two go back in.:D

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
starter really is easy on these cars.
That really depends on the setup. Throw a Mark 8 pan, Kooks headers, and -8 AN transmission cooler lines into the mix, and changing the starter becomes a real pain.

-Rod

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not too hard. On the 4.6 its a pain to get to the top/back bolt. I learned the hard way. I stripped the head of the bolt. Eventually got it out but i left it out because it was that much of a pain. Other than that bolt, it easy. Basic socket set and maybe a wobble extension set or swivel 10mm socket and its done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts