TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the old one off.

The plunger has a round lip at the end. What's the trick for reinstalling the solenoid into the starter housing?

It's on the car now...rather not pull the starter if I don't have to.

How to get it te one one on??

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for future searching, i'll reply to this. i had to pull my starter to see it all....you don't have to. i want to whole heartedly thank the tbird gods and the person that installed my starter for leaving the top starter bolt off:

there is a fork looking thing holding the tip of the solenoid in place. it moves up about 1/16 inch. you can slide the tip away from the fork and slide it out.

to reinstall, there is a slot in the housing. use a very small screw driver to pull the fork forward, and that will let you give you cleerance to get the new solenoid tip into place. if you dont hit it right, the fork will push back in so you'll have to pull it back out.

BTW - solenoid testing. you can check continuity (ohms) between:
S term and M
M and B
B and M

everything has to be disconnected though first. electrically isolate it.

my no start problem ending up being that the single wire connector for the S terminal that is behind the battery had been pinned so that the wires did not touch. when i repinned the connector, she fired right up. damn it feels good to fix things.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Congrats! I have never seen any problems with that connector by the battery. Also good info on changing just the solenoid. I have only changed the solenoid alone on diesel trucks/buses with the 7.3L.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts