TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 has been giving me issues starting lately. It will start right up sometimes and others it will act like the battery is dead and just go "tink" but only one "tink". If I keep turning the key back and forth eventually it always starts but Im worried soon it will quit all together. Does this sound like a bad starter? or maybe a contact issue? any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance, Jon.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on these models the solenoid is part of the starter right? so the whole thing would need to be replaced?

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
its the type of wire connector. do a quick search and you will hopefully find the thread on this with detailed pics- id show you but i gotta work on my gf's pos 98 duratech contour. man, ford contours have to be the biggest piece of **** ever made- environmentalist must love it though since every part on her is bio degradable.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Could be the fender mounted solenoid (if it has one) or the starter solenoid going bad. Check that all your wires connections and terminals are clean too. Sometimes they corrode and cause high resistance.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This car has the solenoid on the starter. as far as I know you can't just change the solenoid , please someone correct me if im wrong. Thanks for the ideas

·
Registered
20 Posts
rock auto shows both styles for your car and they sell replacements for either. i had one of the fender mounted ones apart once that had failed. the electromagnet pushes a big copper washer across the two bolt terminals. it had turned a lovely shade of green :zbounce:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just put 2 and 2 together and realized it does this 85% of the time if not more after the engine is warm, could this be something else?

·
Registered
20 Posts
before you look elsewhere, why not test it.... if you can see the starter and solenoid and get a straight shot at it, have a helper hold the key in the start position while you give the solenoid a whack with a hammer or the end of a heavy pipe (watch the wires). if it starts, the solenoid is your problem.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im not doubting you I just want to be sure before I replace anything. As for testing it I would have to wait till it gives me a problem again before I could test it by whacking it. I will check everything and make sure its all clean and tight and go from there.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does click once with each turn of the key, not click click click fast as if the battery was dieing. It seems to be most prevalent when the car is hot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts