TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think my starter may have died. She won't turnover, and the headlights dont even dim when you take the key to start. There are no clicks at all. Thought it might be a dead battery, but everything still works fine, and the jumping car shows no electrical load when the key is taken to start. The Altenator voltage regulator fuse was blown when I popped the hood, but replaced and nothing happened...thanks for helping.

--Craig

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have a multimeter, so how do I got abouts checking it? Also it has been hard starting lately with the vacuum leak.....

--Craig

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
ZackG said:
got a light bulb and wire? that may work.. or you can just go buy the solenoid first and replace it to see if its it, its a heck of alot easier to change than a starter
A '97 4.6L doesn't have a separate solenoid; it's part of the starter.

Have you tried starting it with the transmission in neutral? You don't want to replace the starter just to find out it was a sticky lockout switch.

By the way, I replaced the starter on my '97 last summer. Other than the sticker shock (~$150, I think), it wasn't that bad of a job.

·
Registered
598 Posts
jk89cat said:
sorry to burst your bubble, but every tbird/ cat has a fender mounted solenoid, where do you think your battery cables connect?, and yes their is one on the starter . too .
I disagree as well. I had to run a new wire a while back to my starter (the old one was ruined with battery acid). There is no fender mounted solenoid, atleast not on the 94, the wire connects directly to the starter/solenoid which is one piece from the battery. A real PITA to rewire it in the correct path.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bullshat....

I have had my 95 apart more times than I care to mention and guess what... Ford left mine off.

Wild boast from someone who only thinks they know everything. :rolleyes:

My positive battery cable connects to the starter. No stops in between. Show me where I'm wrong...

Have a great day.

jk89cat said:
sorry to burst your bubble, but every tbird/ cat has a fender mounted solenoid, where do you think your battery cables connect?, and yes their is one on the starter . too .

·
Registered
793 Posts
"I have had my 95 apart more times than I care to mention and guess what... Ford left mine off.

Wild boast from someone who only thinks they know everything.

My positive battery cable connects to the starter. No stops in between. Show me where I'm wrong...

Have a great day."

I agree with Heavy Metal: Been there, done that! Positive cable direct to the starter!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Deus003 said:
It works, shifter wasnt fully in park....YAY!!!!!

--Craig
Happy to help. I spent considerable time once trying to figure out why my car wouldn't start, and it turned out to be this problem. Now, my rule is that the key turns and nothing happens, put it in neutral and try again.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
and NO i dont think i know everything ! stupid catalog shows it too , so there

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Deus003 said:
It works, shifter wasnt fully in park....
I think we have a replacement for "One Tire Fire" :tongue:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts