TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, was hoping you could give some suggestions on some issues I'm having with our vehicles. I'll list them all and feel free to chip in with any suggestions you have. Vehicles are my 94 Cougar and a 98 Durango mainly driven by the wife.

• Cougar - Front end replacement. This one has it's own thread in the suspension section.
  • Cougar - Drivers side window sticks. When you try to roll it down it will variously go between about 1/4 inch to maybe 3-4 inches. Every now and then, usually when it's really cold, it will roll all the way down. If I pull down on the front edge I can sometimes get it to go further or even all the way down, but this has also caused it to be stuck in a down position. In that instance, it seizes about 3-4 inches down and won't move down or up. Both instances I have finally gotten it to move, but once it took a few days and the car got rained in. :-(
  • Cougar - SACC (heat/ac) won't function correctly. No matter what temp I set it on, it kind of does it's own thing. Every now and then it works but usually it will get stuck on full heat, which really sucks in the summer and is usually too hot in the winter. I have done the diagnostic and it said something about the mix-door being messed up, which would make sense. I thought it was supposed to be electrically controlled, but my mechanic insists it is controlled by vacuum and that WOULD explain all the rubber hoses on the back of the SACC control unit (which I have replaced for this issue, BTW)
  • Cougar - Loud groaning noise when cold and idling. Most likely IAC there.
  • Durango - transmission slips badly. This, again, is worse when it's cold. It also only seems to affect second gear too. You will get up to about 30 or so and the transmission seems to unlock, as if to go to 3rd gear, but just starts slipping instead. It is not much better than being in neutral. You get a little bit of pull but pretty much have to run the engine up to near redline in many cases to get it to shift. Other times you can play with it and tease the throttle just so and it will shift. This, also, has been getting much worse. Also it now has some issues when trying to go into reverse. If it's been sitting like overnight it won't shift fully into reverse, it's basically in neutral and will only roll freely. If you shift PAST reverse and then back, that will usually get it. Other times when you hit the gas it will start to slip and then pop into gear. Something tells me this is going to be expensive to get fixed.
  • Durango - Won't start properly. You turn the key and you get a click from the relay but that's usually it at first. If you keep turning the key of and back on several times you will usually have it progressively get better. It will start to crank a couple of time and then stop after 1/4 - 1/2 second. Once that happens it will normally start after another try or two. From that point the engine seems to run pretty normally. I have noticed that the headlights will dim if they're on when this happens and the battery voltage also sags (have tested with a multimeter), so I think the starter motor is getting current. Also sometimes it seems that jumping the car, even though the battery isn't dead, helps the issue. Battery voltage is typically right about 12v or slightly over when the engine is off. I suspect a bad starter here but have not yet been able to replace it

So, I know I haven't been around much lately since the forums got blocked at work (which is where I would typically post from) but if anyone has any ideas/suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

·
Registered
552 Posts
well I can tell you from experiences that Dodge trucks don't have the best automatic transmissions

·
Registered
164 Posts
[*]Cougar - Loud groaning noise when cold and idling. Most likely IAC there.
I have that too! Just since I removed my air silencer. Hideously loud. You can hear it a block away. But it only lasts about 5 seconds and then is never heard again until the next cold start.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine comes and goes but, yeah, that's it. I've removed my air silencer too, though I don't think that causes the noise. Might make it louder though.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Cougar - Front end replacement
I say try to do it yourself and save ALOT of money. I posted on your other thread. Chances are not EVERYTHING will have to be replaced. And any OEM parts you need from Ford you can get through Ford Parts Counter (AKA Jason) for a discount.

Cougar - Drivers side window sticks
I bet the window motor is just worn out. My 1990 bird had both window motors completely seized. I bought a used one for the driver’s side on E-bay for I think $35shipped. I didn’t bother on the passenger side yet, just my beater car.

Durango - Won't start properly
Yep, sounds like a bad relay switch or starter. Not sure how it is on the Durango but I’m thinking the relay might be on the motor. Don’t know if that means the whole starter needs to be replaced or not, maybe someone else can tell you that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my wife had my BIL look at it the other day. He also thinks it's the starter after listening to it. The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to agree. I think it's having a stiction problem. Basically it's sticking. Electric motors pull the most current when they're not moving. My guess is that that is why the battery voltage seems to sag. Motor pulls too much current, voltage drops from the battery and it no longer has enough push to get it going. I am going to try to find a good starter somewhere, probably from an auto salvage place.

·
Registered
431 Posts
On the sticky window, I had a similar problem on my car. It turned out that the rear window guide came off and the window was binding on the front guide. Using some silicone spray on the guides helped until I found out that the rear guide was detatched and fixed that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn't sound too bad. I gotta get into the passenger door and fix or replace my woofer so I might just replace the whole set while i'm in there and can get it then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts