TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 94 cougar (4.6) i notice sometimes when i start it the thing jsut cranks and cranks before it fires off. But other time i can go out and fire it right up.

Any ideas what might cause this? I just put a new fuel filter & crank position sensor along with new plugs. I havent gotten tot he wires yet.

thanks Mike

·
Registered
519 Posts
egr? it could be sticking and causing the car to run lean. check the spark plugs and see if they look burnt.(from runing lean obviously).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
egr? it could be sticking and causing the car to run lean. check the spark plugs and see if they look burnt.(from runing lean obviously).
well it did this before i changed the plugs, so i put new in and it still did it but ill check the egr. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If it cranks and cranks it isn't the starter--

I would bet your fuel pump is going south--don't be filling up your tank until you drop it for repair--
in most cases they go out right after filling the tank, for some strange reason.

·
Registered
519 Posts
fuel pumps do go bad, and the problem will be intermittant. no check engine codes either.
But you say starting problems. Does the car start if you press down the gas petal slightly when cranking it? Have you tried this? Do not floor it, just barely press the gas petal when starting it to keep it idleing. If that works to start the car you probally have a vac leak or the egr sticking thing which is basically similar to vac leak, it makes the car run lean. The spark plugs can tell you if your car is running lean. If they look burnt

·
Registered
519 Posts
i wouldnt really look into the fuel pump unless the car is cutting in and out when under full throttle. Changing your fuel filter is a good idea on the other hand.
Does the car haul @$$ good when it does run though?
If so, it probally doesnt need coils and wires.
If the car wont start without the gas petal being pushed slightly, and the car does haul ass fine and revv up fast when you give it 100% throttle then it is a vac leak or egr.
Lots of times the dealer just sells those parts to make money. I know service writers and service managers and most of them love screwing people over and telling them to change coilpaks and plug wires when the people dont really need it. They ask the techs, oh the car has 130,000 miles, just sell them coils and wires. That is like $5-800 at the factory depending on what car you've got.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Sounds like you need a new fuel pump. Actually the fuel pump itself is not bad, but part of the fuel pump module (the assembly includes the pump, fuel level sensor, strainer, and check valve) is. The check valve is allowing fuel pressure to bleed out of the rails, and when you hit the starter the pressure has to build up before the engine fires. Try this; next time you go to start it, turn the ignition to "run" (not start) until the fuel pump cuts out, and repeat a couple of times. Then try to start it...if indeed there is a bad check valve this will prime the rails and eliminate the problem temporarily, and also prove whether or not this is the problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the tips. Yeah when its running it runs damn good no cutting out or anything of that nature.

Just seems after it sits a while and ya go to start it, it just cranks for a while before it finally fires off. But after that its normal fires right off unless it sits a while. I never have to give it gas to get it to start or anything.

Ill check the egr and clean it ect.. I need to put in u-joints one of these days so if it does need a fuel pump i may as well do it then. It prolly could use some newer wires as i dont know how old the ones that are on it are plus they appear to be a cheaper brand.

Ill do some testing on it this week at work and let everyone know the results.

·
Registered
519 Posts
checking the egr is the hardest job. it took me forever. make sure you just replace it if you get it out. the part is only like 40 bucks. the amount of time it will take you to get it out is a lot, and you will need some special tools to get the job done. talk to me and ill help you. I just this hour finnaly got the egr off. and it is a process. ill give you the run down when you are ready to tacle it. check that pcv hose too, its a common trouble point on the 4.6's. good luck!
~ryan

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
93 Crown Vic here. 140k on the clock. Car gets started once every two weeks and cranks for a good 4-5 seconds before starting. Only does it during the first cold start after sitting for more than a week. I tried priming the fuel pump a few times one day and it still took a while to fire. I realize most fuel pressure bleeds off within an hour or so, but could this problem have something to do with a bad fuel pressure regulator? I got the stock one from my bird sitting but it had to be a 2 bolt design vs. three on the crown vic. So I never got to try it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
One of my '97s does it too. Very difficult to start but intermittent. Have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, crank position sensor, & plugs. Still tough to start in the mornings and when hot. Runs perfect once it starts. Seems like a common problem. I have been chasing this for 3 years. Other '97 T Bird starts fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts