TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, starting my PI heads/cams swap into my NPI 94 block. I am 99% sure I have everything I need to do the swap...New fuel lines, fuel rails, EGR, throttle cable, etc. Also got a chip burned, 180 T-stat, 02 MAF, etc. Anything I "NEED" to know before I get started? I plan on draining the radiator B-4 I start tearing into it...and will change the oil b-4 I even start the car once its done. This is the biggest project I have ever taken on...wish me luck and any advice would be awesome...Oh yeah, If someone has done this and would like to be my "go-to" guy, PM me your number and if I have questions...I'll call ya :D Thanx again.

Oh yeah, I'll be taking pix along the evolution :D

Shane

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Beer and Band-Aids. :D

Jay

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Change your oil after about 2-300 miles after you're done also just incase there's anything that got into the pan while you're doing the swap.

Get to know the PS pump real real good too...

Joe

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
What I did when I yanked the intake was to pull ALL of the connections. Label every single wire you pull, even though there are no two like connecters anywhere...you will see (except for the injectors) Undo the wires from the power dist box, the ps pump, ac pump, etc, etc. You should have enough room to slide the intake out with all of those wires unhooked. The biggest problem I had was getting the EGR tube up over the back of the block. I left mine on, you might want to take it off if you can.

Joe

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
remove all the wireing before you remove anything... everything should unplug and unsnap from its holders pretty easily.. its not hard to put all back on either... it should all fold off the thr drivers side..

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
trust me take all the wiring off that you can.. it will only get in the way... and beware the ***** oil dipstick tube... it was my hardest on my headswap ;)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
KrAzyT said:
trust me take all the wiring off that you can.. it will only get in the way... and beware the ***** oil dipstick tube... it was my hardest on my headswap ;)
I will second that one. It took me about 2 hours to get it back in...and it was a PITA.

Pulling the hood off, if you haven't already done so makes for a lot more room to work too.

Joe

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
oh yeah dont do it alone! its impossible to hold a 50lb head and try to hold the headbolts up and set her down... Impossible... get atleast 2 people that can hold 50lbs for more then 30mins

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KrAzyT said:
oh yeah dont do it alone! its impossible to hold a 50lb head and try to hold the headbolts up and set her down... Impossible... get atleast 2 people that can hold 50lbs for more then 30mins
Might have to grab the nieghbors on that one :/ Anyway, got the intake off, that EGR was a B*TCH!!!!!! Will have pics up soon :D

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, i'll just pray for you!:D

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so far I have gotten the water pump, intake, alt, etc off...Biggist PITA was the EGR bolts...that blew! In the a.m. I will start on the P/S pump and a/c, and timing cover...after that...The heads come off!

BTW, I read the tech article...Anyway to print that out????

EDIT: Thank you all very much for the advice..so far so good and NO snags...YIPEE!!!!!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts