TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i just bought a 93' cougar with a 3.8 when i try to start it it wont turn over....the brake light comes on......ive checked the starter connection by shorting it at the solenoid and it turns over and will run....ive also checked the neutral control switch and it works fine......the car was hit in the front but ive reset the fuel pump already...any ideas???

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
So, when you turn the key, the starter won't come on, that's what you're saying? I ask that because while technically the words "turn over" refer to the act of the starter actually spinning the crankshaft, a lot of people say that in reference to the car actually running.

If you can turn the ignition switch to "ON" and make the motor actually run by shorting the starter connection to the battery at the solenoid, and it's not the brake interlock or neutral safety switch, then I have to assume it's one of the following: bad solenoid, bad ignition switch, break in the wire going from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

Get yourself a multimeter or a test light and test for current at the switched pole on the starter solenoid while someone turns the key. (The small pole on the solenoid.)

If you're not getting any current there, it's got to be farther up the chain.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you got what i was saying perfectly.....I changed the solenoid with the one from my thunderbird and it still wont turn over....will the iginition switch from a 95 cougar with a 4.6l work in a 93 v6??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts