TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 94 XR 7 with a 3.8 in it. Over the past couple of weeks the car want start after having been already running. Now here is what happens after the engine is shut off and restarted. Put key in the ignition turn key to start nothing happens, all dash lights come on so I have to play with it for about 3 to 5 mins before it will start.
Now when I say play with it, I mean turn the key off an on, several times. Anyone have any ideas as to what maybe causing this?

·
Registered
109 Posts

That sounds like a starter problem. My car used to do that when the starter got hot. I replaced it with a new one and the problem went away. =)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
yeah. sounds liek the starter solenoid is shot... my grandma's 2001 blazer is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key and it doesn't start? Reason I ask is my Vic did this twice and both times it turned out to be the ignition switch. Just a thought.

Jay

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If it is the starter try hitting the starter with a hammer or something and see if it starts then go from there and listen for the fuel pump

·
Registered
141 Posts
When you play with the key, does it click, and try to engage, or does it just start perfectly when you get it to work? You are either getting a connection to work in the switch, or the solonoid is almost shot. Usually when the starter goes either the pinion throwout or the rotational motors wont function. It will engage, but wont turn, or it will turn but not engage. If the engine compartment mounted solonoid is bad, it should be evident because you wont hear it click.

Try this, when it doesn't want to start, turn on the fan blower motor. If it doesnt turn off when you go to the start position, It's the ignition switch.

p.s. Starters can draw up to 800 amps on cold winter mornings if it's availible. You might also make sure all the wires are good and snug. Bad connections can make it behave just as a failed part would.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Starting Problems

Ok Thanks for all the input. To answer some questions that was asked, yes when the key is turned on, you can hear the fuel pump hum, and when it does start it starts great. I hear No clicking when it doesn't START, i Just have to keep turning the key off an on several times then it will start perfectly.Let me ad this when it has been sitting for a while it will start my problem only happens after it has been running doesn't matter if has been running for 30 mins or 3 mins.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
yeah, it is the starter solenoid. but do yourself a favor, just replace the solenoid unless you got gobs of money laying around. it'll be much cheaper that way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
master486 said:
The solenoid is mounted to the starter and not on the fender/in the engine compartment as it was stated above. /
K
I know my 5.0 has one in both positions, one on the firewall and another on the starter itself. Wasn't sure if these cars had the same setup or not.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
yeah his is a 94 not sure about the firewall mount?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts