TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 T-Bird with the 4.6L V8 and am starting to develop problems with it. I put in new plugs, had the injectors cleaned, the tranny flushed etc. And it has started to idle rough when in gear(D,R,1,2) it's not as bad in park or neutral. I hope the intake isn't shot like they are known to do. If this costs me alot of money I'm just going to replace the entire engine. Will a new Mustang GT 4.6L V8 (auto of ocurse) mount right up?? Also about how much does a new GT engine cost I'm guessing 6k installed but just guessing? And if anyone has any information, I live in St.Louis MO to where I could get this engine swap done??? It's at a AAA diagonstic service dept now being checked out. I'd appreciate any and all information that can be provided. I really love my t-bird and plan to keep it cause I'm getting married. I can be reached at [email protected] I thank all who respond to this .

Thank you,

Nick in St.Louis GO RAMS!!!!!!!!

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
6k installed? You should be happy to hear it shouldn't cost you anywhere near that. You could put in the new engine and supercharge it for that.

Many people have found '02 Explorer engines for around $1000 shipped, and GT engines around the same price, maybe a bit higher. The Explorer motor is just about a direct swap, and even easier for you with a '96-97 car.

The Explorer engine and Mustang engines are the same when it comes to what you get out of it, with the advantage being with the Explorer engine because 2002 engines are aluminum, not iron. Power output should be the same.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Can tranny give rough idle? The mechanic I worked with told me not to flush old tranny if fluid wasn't change for a while, he said it will be worst. I wouldn't know, never had experience with that.

My buick shakes violently when in gear, your hand would shacke when you put it on steering wheel. The problem is some bent pulleys and probably worn out camshafts. 152k.+

·
Registered
151 Posts
Could be cuz in Nutrle over park you tend to idle a lil faster. maybe its a spark plugs missing and cant be fealt in N cuz of the faster idle?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
How old are your plug wires? Are you using a K&N air filter?

How many miles on the car?

Why fear the worst, when it might be something simple?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'd check the IAC valve first - they'll cause a roiugh idle too.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Why IAC first??? I'd check the simple things first. Plug wires, clean the MAF, fuel filter, etc. I just got done trying to figure out my rough idle problem. The car ran fine on the street, just had a little rough idle, so I didn't even expect what the problem really was. I had 3 plug wires that were firing intermittedly, $45 later, I had a smooth idling car. Check the simple things first, before you tear into your car for nothing.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Why IAC? Because you can clean it out for free like I did recently... I didnt realize a 4.6L could actually idle consistantly at 300 RPMs until this summer, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts