TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody make a front STB that will fit my car (it has an MAC cold air) or can I modify one to fit? also does anybody make a Rear STB? thanks.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
97Tibirdman said:
Does anybody make a front STB that will fit my car (it has an MAC cold air) or can I modify one to fit? also does anybody make a Rear STB? thanks.
Rich95XR7 makes a RSTB. I just got one the other day. It's pretty cool. I haven't bolted it in yet. I believe he is also making front STB's for SCs. Not sure about other ones yet.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'd really like front and rear braces. How much of a difference in handling do they make?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Each by themselves make a little difference, but combine them, and it's a world of difference. I am starting to make front ones soon, but I'm taking a week's break or so to get some work done to my car. I've heard though that they won't clear the MAC CAI.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think it would be possible for me to put a bend in one for it to fit? Or would that lead to other clearence issues (such as hood clearence)?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I don't know, I'd have to measure a car that has one on it to tell you.

·
Registered
521 Posts
how about if i have a cowl hood with a mac, it might fit better. or not.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
With the MAC, it's actually the bottom of the STB that won't clear, not the top, so the hood doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I know, I was just thinking the to clear the intake, you would have to bend it up towards the hood, so the bottom wouldn't hit the air intake, but then the top might not clear the hood.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I put a Kenny Brown front STB in mine, and I think it helped. Keep in mind that's only by the seat-o-the-pants meter. With the X-brace behind the seat (mine doesn't fold down), I can't see where a rear brace would do much, but unlike me, Rich actually installed one, so I'd take his word. He's been around here for a while, too.

I'd either get an 02 GT MAF and intake tube and ditch the MAC CAI (looks like you already have a custom EEC program), or put a dimple in the MAC so it fits. I shimmed my STB with washers under the front bolts, to roll it upwards a little, so it would better clear the coil packs and plug wires.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
That's the problem I saw with Wes's Kenny Brown front brace, it actually sits on top of the plug wire boots on the coil packs.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I managed to get about 1/2" of clearance between the plug wires and the STB, through a combination of the aforementioned shims (I used flat washers) under the brace and slotting the coil pack mounting brackets to lower them slightly. Not a real big deal, and I don't think it is an issue on the 94-95's. If Rich and JL's brace fix that, kudo's to them.

The KB brace is just a bent tube with brackets on the ends. Are the others a little more stout? The one my 94 GT had was triangulated back to the firewall AND gussetted in the corners, if I remember correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts