TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woohoo! Finally got a set of Steeda's for da bird. No piggyback here, and for $70 shipped! I have searched, and just wanted to be clear on this, so don't hang a guy for asking.

I know that I need to put silicone sealer on the keyway for the crank or it will leak.

The question I have is I was talking w/ a local performance shop that I freqently use, and the guy also happened to own a nice semi-built 95 a while back. He said that he recommneds getting an aluminum/steel sleeve that fits over the crank pulley where it slides into the front seal. Mentioned that after he installed his, that the U/D slowly cut into/wore out the front seal and it developed an oil leak. Is this true, or did he just mess up on the install?

Also, can you use the stock crank bolt for the u/d pulley? I'm not sure if I have the long one to set it into the crank with or anything like that, so I was just going to use the orig. crank bolt to pull the pulley back onto the crank and torque to spec. Good? Bad?

Thanks in advance- Jay

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
Personally, I like to use a new timing cover seal as well as a new crank bolt with the install of underdrive pullies. You need the longer crank bolt that comes with the Steeda kit to 'start' the pulley on it's way home and then remove it and use the Ford bolt. I have never had a problem them leaking without adding a sleeve.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I didn't think I needed the sleeve. Sounds kinda b.s. to me. And as far as the long bolt is concerned, if I don't have it, would it be possible to just get one from a hardware store that would have the correct threads for that?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I had those on my car. Be sure you put silicone all the way around the washer as well!!!!! Not just the keyway. Or IT WILL LEAK. I had to do mine 2 times before I figured out i better put it all the way around the washer head. Chris

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
CobraRThunder said:
I had those on my car. Be sure you put silicone all the way around the washer as well!!!!! Not just the keyway. Or IT WILL LEAK. I had to do mine 2 times before I figured out i better put it all the way around the washer head. Chris
Weird.. i've installed my steeda harmonic dampener twice, and only put the silicone on the keyway both times without any problems...

Might depend on the silicone as well....

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
96Sprintz said:
So where is the best place to get these?

Search around...somtimes ebay is a good place to get a deal... if you do ebay, make sure you can verify them as actual Steeda's...

·
Registered
107 Posts
i got set for my car off ebay. i believe the place i go thtem from was mustang depot. im pretty sure they have an ebay store so that would save you from any chance of getting ripped off.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
me and my friend got a pulley off his engine hes rebulding....the crank pulley.......it was crazy hard to get off....i pried it off with a thick crowbar witch i ended up bending.....there is an easy way but we never found out......whats the way to take off the crank pulley?

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
JoeyICU said:
me and my friend got a pulley off his engine hes rebulding....the crank pulley.......it was crazy hard to get off....i pried it off with a thick crowbar witch i ended up bending.....there is an easy way but we never found out......whats the way to take off the crank pulley?
the easy way is to use a crank puley (harmonic balancer) puller.

Frank

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
thats what i thought......but it didnt seem like it would work....i looked at the tool and ye.....but i guess it would work......but we didnt have one so i did it the hard way....those things take alot of force to get off

·
Registered
263 Posts
One more thing to think about. On the DOHC motors, the crank bolt is torque-to-yield, meaning it's a one use bolt. If you remove it, you replace it. Not sure if the SOHC engines are the same. Just check to be sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts