TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've gotten my car, there has been a "dead" spot in the steering where it will turn about an inch side to side without turning the wheels. It's pretty irritating when you're driving because you constantly have to overcorrect to keep it straight. I checked all the joints and found that the "coupler", not sure what it's called, that joins the end of the column to the rack is where the play is. I've tried tightening the bolt on the rack end, and it didn't help. Seemed like the bolt starting twisting so I stopped. Does this "coupler" need replaced or should I try a harder grade bolt and try to tighten the hell out of it? If I have to replace it, is this part still available? It's on a 95 tbird. I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
892 Posts
Since I've gotten my car, there has been a "dead" spot in the steering where it will turn about an inch side to side without turning the wheels. It's pretty irritating when you're driving because you constantly have to overcorrect to keep it straight. I checked all the joints and found that the "coupler", not sure what it's called, that joins the end of the column to the rack is where the play is. I've tried tightening the bolt on the rack end, and it didn't help. Seemed like the bolt starting twisting so I stopped. Does this "coupler" need replaced or should I try a harder grade bolt and try to tighten the hell out of it? If I have to replace it, is this part still available? It's on a 95 tbird. I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks
Mike

Please go buy a new coupler, PLEASE! Yes it is available.

Brad

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please go buy a new coupler, PLEASE! Yes it is available.

Brad
Are they only available thru Ford or can you get them at a Parts Store? That's the route I'm wanting to go, I wanted to make sure they're available. Also, do you have to loosen the column and pull it back some to get the coupler off?

Mike

·
Registered
570 Posts
Are they only available thru Ford or can you get them at a Parts Store? That's the route I'm wanting to go, I wanted to make sure they're available. Also, do you have to loosen the column and pull it back some to get the coupler off?

Mike
I have a couple of good used "rag joints" if that's the way you want to go, or you can click on the "SS Steering Joints" link below my signature, and buy an aftermarket replacement.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've used the rag joints by "HELP" available at most auto parts stores on pickups and other cars .... they're as good as any, several layers rubber and fabric.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I found a coupler at a local yard. What's the easiest way to get it out? Do you have to drop the steering column and pull it back? How involved is that to do? The threads are stripped out on mine so I need to replace it asap.

Thanks
Mike

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
the steering shaft is telescoping so it will slide up out of the way. YOu just need to undo the bolts on either end of the couple and it will come out no problem. You real problem is attaching back together and having the steering wheel perfectly strait on.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the steering shaft is telescoping so it will slide up out of the way. YOu just need to undo the bolts on either end of the couple and it will come out no problem. You real problem is attaching back together and having the steering wheel perfectly strait on.
just turn the wheel slightly with the key off, it will lock in place and you can remove and replace without worry.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't realize the column was telescoping. I took the bolts out today and tried pushing the column end up but it didn't move. Maybe I missed something or just have to push harder.

Mike

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, here's the update. I got it tight now. I had to take it off and smack the coupler with a hammer to close the gap up on the end of it where it attaches to the rack. Then I put a little bit longer bolt and locknut in it to tighten it the rest of the way and it's good now! :D Thanks for the help!

Mike

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a couple of good used "rag joints" if that's the way you want to go, or you can click on the "SS Steering Joints" link below my signature, and buy an aftermarket replacement.
PM sent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts